Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mtlcan  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 10:11:04 PM(UTC)
mtlcan

Groups: Registered

Hi there.

I'm from Montreal, Canada. I bought a GE French door with bottom freezer unit in July 2005. It was working fine and we where happy with it. However, within a short while our display would not work. Otherwise it worked fine. It was purchased "As is" with no warranty so we never bothered to replace it. This late August (2009), the freezer was not working. It's temperature started to rise equal to the fridges. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in. It started making a clicking noise about 30-40 / minute. I then unplugged the mother board and replugged it. The clicking started going at about 100/ per minute. After reading various threads on the internet, I realized I would have to replace the board with a new one. I called up the GE parts store here, explained the situation to them and the person said "Oh yes. Common problem, you need a new board and we have it in stock."

I replaced the board. My old board was Gea Part No 200D4860G015. The replacement board given to me was Gea Part No 200D4850G013 and on the instruction sheet that came along it actually says Main Board WR55X10552 Single Evaporator and Single Speed Compressor Models with a note: "Do not use on dual Evaporator or variable speed inverter compressor models." How should I know what I have?

I replaced the old board and the fridge started working, miraculously even the temperatue dispay... In a few hours freezer was frozen, and fridge nice and cool... But it continued to make clicking noises about 10 per hour? Not quite sure. I never timed it then, and since it seemed that everything was working, I thought well maybe it's the new design and that would be normal. It was working fine for about a month. 32 days. The warranty on the new board was for 30 days. What timing!

Then we noticed the freezer temperatue rising again. It reached 15 then 23, sometimes it would go back down to close to 0 F. Lately its been going as high to 30's. At first we thought maybe we didn't closse the doors proper, but it would happen too much. Even the fridge would warm up too to the low 40's.

Do I have a faulty new board? or the wrong board altogether? Or is there something else I should check? Currently the clicking noise is on a cycle. It would click; 8 to 14 seconds later it would click again, followed by another click at 145 seconds give or take 2; followed by another at 8 seconds or so, followed by another at 144 seconds; by another at 8 seconds or so; and so on and so on... I think its wierd, but what do I know?

Also it seems that I have to reset the temperature a degree lower in the freezer to make the freezer cold. Otherwise it seems to me that it could be just sitting on defrost mode?

The clicking noise, its a switch of sorts isn't it?

With the model number fridge that I have, should I do anything with the nine pin connector that it says in Step 2 on the instruction sheet, (copywrite 2006 GE Company; Pub. No. 31-10003; Dwg No. 206C1559P000) except that my wiring is not the same anyway. My second white wire for instance is on the 3rd pin and not the 2nd. Also, I don't see any capacitor as described in Step 4.

Thanks for whatever help you can give me.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.