Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fairbank56  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 3:45:55 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Doesn't matter which way capacitor is hooked up. Can you be more specific about "won't agitate right"?

Eric
velo555  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 4:30:19 PM(UTC)
velo555

Groups: Registered

Sorry the agitator will not move. Upper or lower. It wants to. Motor is spinning. Gearbox is making the familiar oscillating wush-wush-wush noise. I made sure to line up the single line on the agitator rod gear between the two lines on the link that is driven by the lower gear. I took it back out and disassembled it. everything came out correctly. I put it back together and function checked it with the old motor coupler chucked up to my cordless drill. In one direction it locked up the one way clutch under the plastic gear and oscillated the agitator rod. In the other direction the plastic gear was driven. Let me know if this helps.
fairbank56  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 4:47:42 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

So, the agitator shaft goes back and forth when you run the gearcase with your drill but doesn't when run with the drive motor? When you run it with the drill, can you prevent the agitator shaft from moving by holding it with your hand?

Eric
velo555  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 4:55:30 PM(UTC)
velo555

didn't try to stop the agitator shaft when running it with my drill. I may take it back apart and try that.
fairbank56  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 5:15:02 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

With washer in normal agitate mode, can you grab the lower agitator fins and freely rotate it? If so, the agitate gear in the gearcase is not engaged with the agitator shaft. Something is not put together properly. If same goes with gearcase out and driving with the drill (you can hold shaft by hand), the gear is not engaging but agitator shaft is just oscillating because of incidental friction between agitate gear and shaft. The agitate gear is always going back and forth whenever the motor is running but is only fully engaged with the shaft when running in agitate direction. If it's not engaging, either the shifter is not working or the agitate cam is not properly installed.

Eric
velo555  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:49:13 PM(UTC)
velo555

Eric thank you for all of your help. I officially killed the beast. I ran it with the white case off of the washer. when it got to the spin cycle it kind of got out of control and I heard a loud pop. Then the gearcase locked up. I took it apart and found the shift actuator ( AP3018167) bent all to hell. After 15 years I guess it is time for a new washer. Looks like a Maytag Centenial washer is in my future. Once again thanks for everything.
fairbank56  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:14:25 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Sounds like something got put back together wrong. The new Maytag Centennials are actually the new (since 2010) Whirlpool belt drive VMW washer's. They are a piece of junk. Many many problems with them. I would steer clear of them. There are tons of these Whirlpool VMW's out there being marketed under various brand names including Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore, Roper, Amana, Estate and others. The only decent top loader nowadays are the Speed Queen models but they run over $800.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply