Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bigbadblazer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 12:36:20 PM(UTC)
bigbadblazer

Groups: Registered

Our lower oven stopped heating up a couple weeks ago. I have tested both elements and both tested at 20ohms. I took the back cover off and checked voltage output directly from the control panel. As soon as I turned the lower oven on, I hear the relays "click" and both top and bottom element connections show a full 220V. Not more than 2 seconds later, I hear the "click" of the relays again and the voltage goes to 0. It does not it does not come back on. I tested the top oven for comparison (which works fine), and obviously, the second "click" from the relay doesn't happen and the voltage stays at 220 until the oven is hot.

So, the circuits are all working, but something is causing the relays to break the connection prematurely. Could this be the relay itself? Could the thermostat be part of the problem? Or is it likely to be the whole control panel?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:27:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Maytag MER6751AAS Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

Remove power (flip the breaker off) for a couple minutes.
Sometimes the microprocessor can become confused and needs resetting.
If this does nothing.
Remove power from the unit and check the temperature sensor with a meter.
Below is a good link with info on tis , look at 7, 8, 20 and 21.
http://www.applianceaid.com/electric-range-repair-topics.php

If OK, then odds are that the control board is shot.
File Attachment(s):
MER6751.pdf (717kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
bigbadblazer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 10:41:50 AM(UTC)
bigbadblazer

The diagnostic mode gave me error code 3d12, which is listed as lower oven sensor open. I tested the sensor and it tested somewhere over 1,000 ohms, which is what it is supposed to be at room temperature.

I performed my own test of the sensor by connecting each oven to the other oven's sensor. If the sensor was the problem, then the upper oven would stop working and the bottom would work. This was not the case. Even when connected to the upper oven's sensor, the lower oven had the same symptoms as my first post. Should I just get a new control board and see if that solves the problem?
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 10:53:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]Should I just get a new control board and see if that solves the problem?[/COLOR]

That is what I would do.

If you purchase it from AppliancePartsPros, they will let you return it if it does not fix your problem. Please see their return policy.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
scott5495  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:29:38 PM(UTC)
scott5495

it sounds like you are a handy person. remove the control and find the relays. look at the underside of the relays at the solder joints and see if a joint is cracked. if it is resolder the joint and happy days are here again.
bigbadblazer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 1:45:46 PM(UTC)
bigbadblazer

I got my new control panel yesterday. I removed the old panel and tried the new one, problem solved!! When I took the old panel apart, I noticed one of the terminals from one of the relays was no longer soldered. I got my wood burner and resoldered. I plugged in the old panel, and guess what...IT WORKS!!!

Anyone know what may have caused the terminal to come un-soldered? Is there some underlying problem?

[IMG]https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108238724014132258341/albums/5871645883935274785/5871645882919011122[/IMG]

https://plus.google.com/...4785/5871645882919011122
scott5495  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 1:58:28 PM(UTC)
scott5495

the reason the solder connection cracked is that it is connected to the relay post. when the relay recieves power it closes the circuit. the relay doesn't close slowly but rather snaps to close. the relay shakes each time it closes and can eventually break the solder joint. resoldering it makes it stronger than before. there is no other problem causing this to happen. congratulations.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply