Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tvaughn33  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:58:13 AM(UTC)
tvaughn33

Groups: Registered

My Maytag Bravos washer MVWX550XW0 purchased just over 2 years ago will not begin any cycles. The Lid Lock light blinks, but never stays solid lit to indicate the lid is locked and the cycle will begin. There is also a clicking sound coming from the control panel when the lid attempts to lock.

Any ideas on what part may be malfunctioning that is causing my lid to not lock?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 1:43:16 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Check that the lid strike on the lid is not broken. The lid lock will not work if the lid strike doesn't engage the lid lock mechanism. If it's ok, the lid lock may be defective or broken. Whirlpool came out with a stronger lid lock design because the original ones were easily broken when people tried to open the lid with it locked.

Eric
tvaughn33  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 8:28:04 PM(UTC)
tvaughn33

I took the lid strike off of the lid and it does not appear to have any damage that would prevent it from operating correctly. I engaged the strike(while not attached to the lid) with the lock and I could feel the magnet engage, but it just continued to click behind the control panel as stated in the original post.

What should my next steps be?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:28:12 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Well, it's either the lid switch/lock mechanism or the main control unit. Open the control panel and make sure J-15 (4 conductor, red, wht, blu, yel) on the main control unit is plugged in good. Look for the tech sheet attached somewhere within the washer cabinet. It will tell you how to enter diagnostic mode to check for any fault codes as well as run through the lid lock test. You can disconnect J-15 and take the whole lid switch/lock mechanism out and then plug back in to J-15 and with that and the lid strike in hand, might be able to figure out further. This is the new Whirlpool VMW design washer. Lots of problems with them. Lid latch assembly, part no. W10404050 $38, main control unit, part no. W10296021 $117 If you have to replace the main control unit, you must perform the calibrate function in diagnostic mode.

Eric
tvaughn33  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:08:45 AM(UTC)
tvaughn33

Thanks again for the information. Any quick tips on accessing the control panel and the latch assembly?
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:15:44 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Remove the two top screws from the back of the control panel. Push back lightly on top corner of panel while inserting putty knife under bottom corner of panel on each side to release clips. To open top panel, remove top screw from hinge on back panel on each side and remove the wiring harness cover next to one of the hinges. Slide top forward 1/2", raise 1/4" and slide back 1/4" while still raised (the Z maneuver) and tilt open. Tech sheet should be down inside cabinet somewhere.

Eric
tvaughn33  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:22:01 AM(UTC)
tvaughn33

I unplugged the J15 connector and reconnected it and that did not fix the problem. I have the top up as well, and I believe I will go ahead and order the lid latch assembly in hopes that it is giving me the issues. Would there be a way for me to check and see if the latch assembly is functioning properly? I have attempted to place the strike in the latch without any luck of having it recognize the lid as locked.
tvaughn33  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:23:10 AM(UTC)
tvaughn33

Also, I looked for a tech sheet and found a black sheet on the inside front of the cabinet but I cannot pull it off nor read what is on it.
fairbank56  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:46:32 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

The black thing is the cabinet sound dampener. You can make a couple of static tests on the latch assembly with an ohmmeter. You should read 85-155 ohms between the yellow and white wires. That's the resistance of the solenoid coil and you can check the lid switch between the blue and white wires. Should read 0 ohms (short) with lid closed (lid strike in place) and open with lid open. That's about all you can do. The solenoid receives a brief pulse from the MCU to latch/unlatch the lock.

Eric
jasons111  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:48:57 PM(UTC)
jasons111

Hello, I'm having a similar probelm with my Maytag Bravos. It is just over a year old and the washer is intermitently not reconizing when the lid is open or closed. I'm trying to figure out if the lid latch/lock would cause this problem or there is a lid position sensor somewhere, any ideas? Everything else seems to work good, but when the lid position is not reconized as closed the washer will not start and the display blinks "LID" Then for no apparent reason, at some point later in the day everything is good. Or sometimes I will be in the other room and hear the washer make the open sound/music as if the lid was opened, but it didn't move.
Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply