Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
raentai  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:23:03 PM(UTC)
raentai

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have a direct drive kenmore catalyst weasher, from videos it appears identical to a Whirlpool.

yesterday it stopped after the agitate cycle, it will not pump out or rinse or spin, I tried all cycles same thing, when it is not working the motor just makes a humming noise like a door buzzer for maybe 10 seconds and then the noise quits, almost like a thermal overload on a seized motor, after a while (it cools off?) the buzzing returns for another 10 seconds or so,

I took off the cabinet and separated the pump from the motor, same behavior, I can turn the motor with a 7/16 wrench in either direction, one way seams to move the agitator the other moves the inner basket,

how would I go about troubleshooting this further? I am an unemployed aircraft mechanic and have all the tools I need, but I don't know anything about washing machines.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

raentai  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2012 9:07:07 PM(UTC)
raentai

I worked on it some more today, still works fine in agitate direction but not the spin direction, i removed the transmission and check it per this Gearcase on a Whirlpool direct drive washer - YouTube with a drill and it works as it should in both directions,

reassembled same behavior,

I removed the drain pump and the drive coupler wondering if something was stalling the motor, and with absolutely no load on the motor same behavior, works in agitate direction but just hums til overheat in spin direction.

I checked for shorts to ground in the motor and found none, I checked the motor per this Testing and Replacing Drive Motor for Whirlpool Washing Machines - RepairAve.com and found no defects,

I polished the contacts on the start switch and verified continuity, reassembled with no change,

so as far as I can tell i have either a bad motor or it is not getting the right signals to get it going from the timer, both the timer and motor are expensive, i would like to know for certain witch is the culprit before I replace something, how would I go about determining this?

when it is humming in the spin mode I have power from the harness on these pins:
4 blue
7 yellow
8 orange /blue
10 red

I am thinking about trying this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...xieBU&feature=relmfu

is there an easier way to do it than splicing into the harness? another problem is I think my 3 speed motor might be different?

any help?
raentai  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2012 9:50:15 PM(UTC)
raentai

Edit never min i found it, two contacts in the timer welded together, the stater winding was getting power on both sides preventing it from getting the motor going in the spin direction.

now we get to find of it I can get the timer back together in a working state
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply