Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:19:18 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jmrec100 Go to Quoted Post
...4) Flame on for about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes ( Counted to 80). Turns off. Flame does not turn back on...

Did you wait until the igniter start to glow second time?

Gene.
P.S. I really don't like to replace any part by guessing. That's why I keep asking you.
jmrec100  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:18:42 PM(UTC)
jmrec100

Groups: Registered

I don't like to guess either. I do not mind the questions.
I waited probably over a minute. But when I turned off the dryer and then tried to start it again after about a 4 minute rest, it started again. Then shut off again. It seems like some temperature hi limit switch turning off the gas valve. Or possibly weak coils as seems to be in many of the cases here? But the resistance measuremant seem ok. Maybe its breaking down when current runs through it? but I do not know.
----------
I'll be running thru the same checks again tonight.
Gene  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:55:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

The heater normally cycles on and off by the temperature inside. Normally the flame should be on at the very first time for about 11/2 to 2 minutes and for about 35 to 45 seconds later. The off time normally is about 3 to 6 minutes. You just did have enough patience to wait.

Gene.
jmrec100  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:05:10 PM(UTC)
jmrec100

I'll try again tonight. So it burns for about 1-1/2 to 2 mins. Turns off then cycles on after about 3 to 6 mins?
I did not understand what the 35 to 45 seconds means. Does it mean the following heating cycles are only 35 to 45 seconds long and then shuts off for a period of 3 to 6 mins?
I'll run throu it again tonight. It may have been that the initial problem was lint in the vent hose. I cleaned it out and didn't know that it would cycle in short bursts. Find out tonight and will post if it is working again. Thanks,

I will post if it works for the benefit of everyone .
Gene  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 2:45:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

...So it burns for about 1-1/2 to 2 mins. Turns off then cycles on after about 3 to 6 mins?...

...I did not understand what the 35 to 45 seconds means. Does it mean the following heating cycles are only 35 to 45 seconds long and then shuts off for a period of 3 to 6 mins?...

...It may have been that the initial problem was lint in the vent hose...

Yes, that's right.

Restricted air flow is most common cause for such problem. So, it is very possible that the original problem has been fixed.

Gene.
jmrec100  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:13:23 PM(UTC)
jmrec100

Looks like that the restricted air flow due to lint was the problem. Cleaning out the lint did solve some of the problem.
Seems that the vent tube is partially blocked because of the way the vent was installed in the house. The vent on the house is at 8" from the floor. The vent on the dryer is 5" from the floor. When the dryer is pushed back with the flexible vent, it collapses the opening some so not a complete circular outlet. I'm thinking the builders installed the vent way too high. Is this possible? I am going to make an adapter box at 3 inch centers that will keep a full open rectangular shape with a circular joint attached to the house. Then a lower circular joint to attach to the dryer with a flex hose so it's a straight UN-collapsed opening . I am confused why such a height difference between dryer and house. 3 inch off seems alot and it collapses when push the dryer against the wall.
++++++++++++++++
Another question on how the different setting for drying temperature . Is it simply a longer cycle to keep the flame on for high temperature settings and a shorter cycle for the low temperature?
jmrec100  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 6:43:20 AM(UTC)
jmrec100

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Gene  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 1:19:42 PM(UTC)
Gene

...Is it simply a longer cycle to keep the flame on for high temperature settings and a shorter cycle for the low temperature?...

Yes, this is correct. There is the cycling thermostat on the back of the dryer which reads the temperature and controls the electrical circuit for the burner depending on the temperature setting.

In regards of the vent, you can find a lot of information by doing a web search.

Gene.
jmrec100  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 7:30:00 PM(UTC)
jmrec100

The dryer flame is cycling on and off like it is supposed to but it seems to take a long time to dry clothes. How do I check the cycling time and the heat it is supposed to be doing? I ask because maybe I have a bad thermostat or what ever is controlling the length of the drying cycle time. What I mean about too long is that it takes 140 setting on the medium heat (for shirts and blouses) and it did not take that long. I know the exhaust vent is not the problem because I ran without the vent hose connected. What do I check?
I have infrared temp gun for AC work that I could use to check the temperature at the vent tube where the heat enters the dryer. But what temp should it be when it turns off? Is that information available?
Gene  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:18:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

Set the dryer at the highest temperature. Disconnect the vent hose from the dryer and measure the temperature by putting a meat thermometer inside the exhaust pipe for about 2"-3". Do not use your infrared temp gun or use as a second device to compare the readings. Do the same thing with the lower setting.

Post the results.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply