Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sappy  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:35:39 PM(UTC)
sappy

Groups: Registered

Gene,

I have the same popping problem with my Whirlpool side by side refrigerator door. I had no loose screws on the bottom cam and replaced the entire assembly once already. The popping was still very slight even with a brand new cam and some lube, and now is very loud again. Is there a common reason that the cam would be wearing out very quickly? thanks
Rita Kakassy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:21:26 AM(UTC)
Rita Kakassy

I over tightened the hex screw on the bottom because the popping never stopped and unfortunately it striped out. Is there anything I can do to fix it?:(
milty456  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 7:24:25 AM(UTC)
milty456

What size hex wrench did you guys have to use. I have both metric and SAE hex wrenches and couldn't get one of em to fit.

Thanks

Ric??
Sgt Rock  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:31:56 PM(UTC)
Sgt Rock

Reading several forums I looked at the bottom door jam, or whatever you want to call it. Sure enough the lil plastic "whatever" was loose. Except mine did not require an allen wrench (hex head). The bolt was approximately 5/16" or right at 8 mm. Did not have an offset, small 5/16 wrench - used an offset 8 mm and worked like a champ. The refrigerator door has to be opened almost 180 degrees to get to this bolt. Tighten the nut snugly and Viola - the popping noise stops. If you do not have "box end" wrenches, you may need to take off just the refrigerator door. No way a socket will fit in the space. Good luck "do-it-youselfers"
KingJamesthe1rst  
#15 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 9:11:36 PM(UTC)
KingJamesthe1rst

Hey thanks alot you guys. I removed the upper 8mm bolts holding the door on. Removed it and used an 8mm driver to tighten the screw located within the lower plastic housing or cam . It was loose and not holding form enough to handle the pressure of the weight when the door opened. Creating a loud popping noise. Now its so quiet. I coudn't thank you enough. This has bugged me for a year..So simple with advice from a Knowlegeable source.
Sgt Rock  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 6:59:14 AM(UTC)
Sgt Rock

Gald the "fix" worked for you as well!! :)
Happy New Year and may it be your best!!
Sgt Rock
TinaJenkins2013  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:51:19 PM(UTC)
TinaJenkins2013

Thank you so much for the info. I only wish I had looked it up sooner. That popping noise has driven me nuts since shortly after I bought the fridge 4 yrs. ago!
osgoodspud  
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:04:00 PM(UTC)
osgoodspud

I tried this repair, but found that the hex bolt was not accessible because of the door. I found that the door is held on by three screws. I removed a plate cover from the top of the door which revealed the three screws. I removed them and then pulled the door off the swivel hinge. (I did it with food still in the door and would recommend removing the food first.)

setting the door aside, I tightened the hex bolt. I retraced my steps and put the door back up. I opened and closed a couple of times and found that the repair was successful.

Good Luck!
ecnalp  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 9:20:39 AM(UTC)
ecnalp

I just did our Whirlpool SxS and it worked. Open the door fully and you will see a little hex head bolt (5/16 worked for me). It allows the bottom part of the cam ramp to move slightly causing the pop. Tighten and no pop.
TxTom  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 4:11:20 PM(UTC)
TxTom

I tightened it but it only lessened the sound for a couple days. Now it's back in full force. Is there a part I should replace? Possible I didn't tighten enough but I doubt it. I have gs6nbexrb01

Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply