Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hguyette  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:53:50 AM(UTC)
hguyette

Groups: Registered

I recently returned home to find that the load of laundry that I had started had stopped with 1 minute left on the display. The clothes inside were still wet. I ran the diagnostic which revealed an error code E5E. The tech came out to look at it and without even looking at wiring, etc. he said that we needed a new electronic control board--he then corrected himself and said a new motor control board. This is the second front loading machine that we have had this type of issue with. The last machine we had, we ended up replacing every control board and spent close to $400 without correcting the problem. I am more than a little skeptical that the motor control board will fix this problem. Should I be looking at a new machine? And, how easy of a fix is replacing the motor control board, if that is the answer.

Thank you!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:01:32 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi

Well you certainly have my sympathy because you not only bought an expensive washer that should have lasted many years without needing a repair, you also bought the "better" version of this Frigidaire Front Loader.

The error code you have is when there is no communications between the control board which is the central brain of the machine and the speed or motor control board which tells the motor what to do and when to do it. It is possible that a wire is broken or shorted out between the two, and the service tech should have examined the machine in detail to either find or rule out this possibility. You should do so and hopefully you will find a broken or shorted wire, which you can easily fix and then be on your way.

If this is not the case, then the problem is either a bad control unit or bad motor board, and unfortunately you cannot really tell which without replacing one or the other and seeing if that fixes the problem. You are correct to be skeptical that the motor board will fix it, but it is the more likely of the two possible problems. (conceivably it could be both, but that is unlikely)

You now know why folks like me strongly recommend against getting any machine with a computer control.

If you really like the machine and feel like working on it I would try replacing the motor control board. You can find it by taking off the front and rear access covers. It is not too hard, but unfortunately no guarantee that it will fix it. However, if you have to have a service tech do the work it will be very expensive, I would take the money and use it to buy a good top loading washer that has mechanical controls (and what's left over to have a good meal out to make you feel better).

Sorry I could not be more positive or definitive, but that is life with the "new and improved???" electronics.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.
jody zak  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 10:11:56 AM(UTC)
jody zak

Groups: Registered

:mad: I HAVE A FRIGIDAIRE FRONT LOADER,IT IS ONLY ONE YEAR OLD. IT WILL NOT SPIN OUT ALL THE WAY AND IT WILL PAUSE THE MACHINE AND WILL NOT FINISH THE LOAD OR SPIN FAST ENOUGH. SHOULD THIS BE HAPPENING WHEN IT IS ONLY ONE YEAR OLD?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 10:15:01 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Jody

To get someone to helpl you please start a new thread with a new post and describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Also please include the complete model number for your machine.

Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply