Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rollsfixer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:59:00 PM(UTC)
rollsfixer

Groups: Registered

This electric oven will not heat in "bake" mode. Interestingly the "slow cook' feature works. With my VOM I see both elements have continuity, so that is not the problem.

I note the temperature dial will turn the top broiler element on and off at the approximate temperature of the inside (independent oven thermometer), so I think the thermostat is OK.

I checked voltage across the two wires connecting to the oven elements, and in "bake" there is no voltage between the two wires connecting to either element. (One element, the higher resistance one, gets 120 v when the slow cook feature is turned on.)

I suspect the main control switch is defective. That's the control where you select bake, time bake, broil, or clean. I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere, so I am unable to check the switch out, but I see this site (Appliance Pros) has got a switch for $34. It seems to me taking a $34 chance on a switch is a reasonable bet when compared with the price of a new stove. I seriously doubt the repair man from my local "Appliances R Us" repair shop will know any more about this relic than I do, if he will even come look at it.

Any comments on my approach would be appreciated.

Maybe no one remembers Modern Maid. They were bought by Amana not long after I got this unit in 1992, and since then I think Maytag took over. Conventional wisdom would be to throw it out and get new, but I am not conventional. I think things should be fixed, not thrown out. I also drive a 60 year old car. The older you get the more you appreciate old stuff.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.