Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
venkman  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:03:13 AM(UTC)
venkman

Groups: Registered

I am a college student and recently got an apartment off campus. In doing so I bought a cheap washer and electric dryer on craigslist. The washer works fine but the dryer just stopped working. I have looked online for simple repairs and hoped that it was just the belt that was broken, I just opened up the top of the dryer and the belt looks fine. It is tight around the drum and looks in good shape. While I had the top off the dryer I decided to give it a run and see what would happen. When I pressed the start button the dryer motor kicked on and tried to turn the drum. It attempted to turn for about 10 to 15 seconds before there was another click and the motor stopped. I then tried to press the start button again but nothing happened. After waiting for about another minute or so there was another click from the dryer and then when I pressed the start button the motor tried to turn the drum again and then another click and it stopped.

My first question is what part of my dryer is broken? Is it the motor or the temperature sensor or something completely different? Depending on what is broken is it really worth fixing or should I just try to find another cheap dryer? Lastly, I would like to do the repairs myself as I can't really afford a repairman to come in and take a look at it.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:06:09 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL EL5030VW0 Residential Dryer | AppliancePartsPros.com
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
My first question is what part of my dryer is broken? Is it the motor or the temperature sensor or something completely different?[/COLOR]
Sounds like the motor.
What is happening is that the motor overheats, it then trips it''s internal thermal protect and then has to cool down for the protect to reset before it will try to start again.
Try turning the drum in the correct direction by hand. It should turn fairly easily. You may want to try this on a couple other dryers to get a feel for it.
If it is hard turning check for anything jammed under the drum seals.
Check the idler wheel, the front drum bearing, the rear support wheels, the motor etc. to see what is causing the overload on the drum/motor.
It is a good idea to also check in the blower assembly in case something has dropped in there and is jamming it.

If you get heat when it is trying to start then the two centrifugal switches on the motor may be closed. This could be they are jammed solid with lint.
These switches are supposed to close when the unit gets close to operating speed. One is for heat but the other is for the motor's start winding. So if you have heat you probably do not have the start winding and the motor will overheat.

If all the above are OK then odds are the motor is toast.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
Depending on what is broken is it really worth fixing or should I just try to find another cheap dryer?[/COLOR]
The motor is approx. $80.00 so I do not know if it is worth replacing. Depends on the condition of the unit and if it needs more parts for a decent overhaul.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply