Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ualdriver  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:52:12 PM(UTC)
ualdriver

Groups: Registered

Hi all-

I have a GE Profile dishwasher. Model # PDW8200N00BB. Serial # HM865817B

When I start the dishwasher, the dishwasher sounds like it is going through its cycles, the metal heater coil along the bottom of the dishwasher gets very hot, and the soap drops in to the dishwasher. It also sounds like there is noise coming from the dishwasher, which I assume is the pump running. However, there is no water.

To add a wrinkle, we just came back from a 10 day vacation and this is the first time we have run the dishwasher since returning. Before we leave for vacation, we shut off the water to the house and drained all the water from the pipes by opening the downstairs bathroom faucets.

I am relatively handy but know nothing about dishwashers. Where should I start with this? I am guessing an airlock or some sort of valve that "dried out" and got stuck? I have no idea.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:02:39 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric PDW8200N00BB Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

You may have an air lock going to the dishwasher.
Loosen the water supply fitting at the water inlet valve under the unit.
Put a pan under it and see if it will drip water.
If you hear air escaping then wait till you get water and then try the dishwasher.

If there is water there then it could be that the screen filter on the input side of the valve is clogged. If dirty clean it. Do not permanently remove it from the valve as it is there to keep crud out of the valve which could hold it open and cause a flood.
This would be at the top of my list because crud etc. does collect in the pipes and by draining them there is a good chance that some of it has loosened and is now clogging the filter.
OR
The overfill switch is not closed. Check that the float in the tub is not stuck in the up position.
OR
That the valve is toast.
Check if the valve has 120 volts across it when the unit should be filling.
If it does and there is no water and the filter screen is clean then the valve needs replacing.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ualdriver  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:44:35 AM(UTC)
ualdriver

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric PDW8200N00BB Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

You may have an air lock going to the dishwasher.
Loosen the water supply fitting at the water inlet valve under the unit.
Put a pan under it and see if it will drip water.
If you hear air escaping then wait till you get water and then try the dishwasher.

If there is water there then it could be that the screen filter on the input side of the valve is clogged. If dirty clean it. Do not permanently remove it from the valve as it is there to keep crud out of the valve which could hold it open and cause a flood.
This would be at the top of my list because crud etc. does collect in the pipes and by draining them there is a good chance that some of it has loosened and is now clogging the filter.
OR
The overfill switch is not closed. Check that the float in the tub is not stuck in the up position.
OR
That the valve is toast.
Check if the valve has 120 volts across it when the unit should be filling.
If it does and there is no water and the filter screen is clean then the valve needs replacing.

OK thanks. I tried your easier things first. It was either the overfill switch or an air lock. I manipulated the float manually then filled the dishwasher with a few pitchers of water, and now it appears to be working. Thanks for your help!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply