Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
we5hikers  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:07:31 AM(UTC)
we5hikers

Groups: Registered

I believe we had a power surge a few days ago as it messed up a TV box and the upright freezer stopped working all together. The outlet is getting electricity and there are no blown fuses. The interior lights are off and the display board on the front is off. There are two lights on the front, both showing red, for high temp and door ajar. So it is getting juice but everything else is off. From reading other posts it sounds like it could be the temperature control switch, relay/overload or a capacitor that blew. Could you help me figure out the most likely problem source and which parts I would need? Thanks for you help and informative site.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:30:57 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Hello we5hikers. Based on the information you provided, you will need to check the control board in the door and see if it is bad. If so, it can prevent the components of the freezer from working properly. Look for burnt spots on the control board. Test across the control board yellow wire and white wire. If there is 120 volts there and if the display is not lighting up, you will need to replace the control board. Hope this helps.

Part number: AP4979457
we5hikers  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:56:38 AM(UTC)
we5hikers

Thanks for the quick response. I will go home tonight and look at it and test it. Since I have not looked yet, can you give me some idea of how you would typically access this panel? Do I need to get at it from the inside of the door or does the panel come off from the outside? Thanks!
Jeff / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:59:12 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Hello we5hikers. The control board unsnaps out of the front of the freezer door. You can use a flat blade putty knife or butter knife to remove it. Hope this helps.
we5hikers  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:10:53 AM(UTC)
we5hikers

Jeff, thanks for your help so far but please forgive my ignorance. I went home and pulled the control board off the freezer with no problems. It does not appear to be burned in any way. I thought of testing it as you described but there are no obvious wire colors, just the prongs at the bottom of the board where it plugs into the freezer. I'm assuming that if you were to remove the control board from the plastic casing the colored wires would be underneath where they are hidden. Should I pull it apart in order to have it tested or is there another step I'm missing? Thank you kindly.
Jeff / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:46:41 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Hello we5hikers. Test across pin 2 and pin 8 on the connector pins for the board. That is where you should have 120 volts AC. If so, replace the control board. Hope this helps.
we5hikers  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:15:27 AM(UTC)
we5hikers

Jeff, just one more clarification on this before I order a new control board. I took my mulitmeter and set it on ACV, tested #s 2 and 8 prongs and got NO reading. Actually, there was no reading on any of the prongs. So if there is NOT 120V showing then the board is fried and I need a new one? Is that correct? Thanks again.
Jeff / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:18:35 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Did you test where the board plugs in, or the board? You will need to check the connection, not the board. You should see 120 volts at pins 2 and 8. Let me know what you find. Thanks.
we5hikers  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:13:39 AM(UTC)
we5hikers

Jeff, I got it fixed. Turns out after we cleaned it out and unplugged it for 24 hours it reset and when I put the old control board back in it fired back up and is working fine. I didn't even have to test the pins. I read in some other posts that sometimes it needs time to sit in order to reset. We unplugged in and plugged in back in a couple of times but I guess it had "overheated" and need to cool and reset. So problem solved. Thanks so much for your help - I love your site and will tell anyone I know to come here for help. Thanks again.
Jeff / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:18:48 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Thats great we5hikers! Glad you were able to fix it!! Thanks!!! :) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply