Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mreddy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:42:42 PM(UTC)
mreddy

Groups: Registered

I just thought I would post my experience in case it might be of help to some other people.

I have a kenmore glass top oven/stove. My wife was heating up the oven to make pizza and there was a distinctive POP sound as if maybe the element and burnt out or something.

From that point on all the thing would do is beep constantly and nothing lit up on the display at all. The oven door proceeded to lock itself as well. So I started the investigation.

The consensus was that it was the control board simply because "there isn't really anything else it could be".

YOU NEED A SQUARE HEAD SCREWDRIVER! Or socket set. I took off 3 screws on the top back of the oven and then 2 on the front bottom right and left (short screwdriver helps with these).

At that point the whole thing just lifts off and lays face down. It helps to have a small box or something to set this on as the wires were stretched on mine if I laid it on the stovetop.

After that its just unplugging. Unplug the 5 wires on the right (write down the color order to be safe). Then unplug the main connector. This was by far the hardest part. That connector was a pain in the butt to get off. Basically wound up using 3 jewelers screwdrivers to get the stupid tab pushed back while simultaneously pulling up on the connector.

Then you unscrew 4 more screws and pull off the board and you have the old one out.

The faceplate is just stuck on there with glue or something. I just peeled it off and immediately stuck it to the new one and there was enough residual glue that it stayed on the new one no issue. But, you may wind up needing some kind of adhesive here if you aren't so lucky.

Once that was on I put it back in place and put the 4 screws back on to hold the board in place. Reconnected all the wires (following my written down colors which I was thankful I did). Then I set it back on the stove and plugged it in.

The clock lit up and there was no beeping. I had to hold the lock button a couple times to get the door to unlock but it unlocked ok and I could open the oven again. Then I turned on the heat and it heated up and was working again no problem.

I then shut it off unplugged it and screwed all my screws back in. Overall it was significantly easier than I was expecting and I'd say even the most basic handyman can pull off this repair. Just be careful when pulling that plug off. It's easy to get frustrated and rush and break a wire or bust a knuckle or something.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.