Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jws68  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:47:29 PM(UTC)
jws68

Groups: Registered

I was having problems with my washer stalling with 17 minutes left in cycle and running on that cycle for like 20 minutes sometimes. I read if could be the control board so i bought one from here and replaced it and it still does the same thing. I was wondering if there is any other reason it would be doing this. I am sure everything is hooked up right and checked everything and it all looks good to me. If anyone has any helpfull ideas would love to hear them.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 12:07:10 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The electronics on this model are a mess, to put it mildly.

Here is a link to the service manual for your model,

https://secured.whirlpoo...73421b/$FILE/8178583.pdf

Use it to generate the built in diagnostics to see if they can give you any clues.

Click on your model number to see exploded views of your control panel, and notice that you have more than one electronic component. Don't know which one you replaced, but try the other one. Remember you can return the parts if you do not need them.
efolluo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:24:35 PM(UTC)
efolluo

I have the exact same problem at 17 minutes, and read on another forum that maybe the drain hose was too long and was siphoning water from the washer as it sat there, and the suggestion was to raise the hose so it was higher than the washer. Sounded plausible, but it didn't help.
Here's what I do now - wash every load on the "Quick Wash" cycle. You have to adjust temps and spin speeds etc, but at least it always makes it through a complete cycle every time. And "Quick Wash" is only a few minutes shorter than a regular cycle, so I feel like everything's getting adequately clean.
rexblisard  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:16:08 AM(UTC)
rexblisard

Originally Posted by: jws68 Go to Quoted Post
I was having problems with my washer stalling with 17 minutes left in cycle and running on that cycle for like 20 minutes sometimes. I read if could be the control board so i bought one from here and replaced it and it still does the same thing. I was wondering if there is any other reason it would be doing this. I am sure everything is hooked up right and checked everything and it all looks good to me. If anyone has any helpfull ideas would love to hear them.

Please note: I am no expert. This is what I think. On a Maytag Atlantis this time period is when the electric motor reverses and releases the brake and the tub starts spinning to damp dry the clothes. If the brake did not release, the motor would be stalled creating the odor you describe and hopefully the motor's thermal circuit breaker would open before the motor was ruined. A person could put a mirror under the washer during this time period and see if this was actually the case (motor is stalled...pully not spining). The way I understand they work is the motor is 2 speed forward and 2 speed reverse. This is a way to get the washer transmission to do the requirement with fewer parts. If this is found to be the case, check out the brake. I used 2 C-clamps to get the brake apart as the spring has 200 pound force and the thing would come apart in your face if you just unscrewed the 6 screws holding it together...You can use the C-clamps to release the pressure gradually and with "no excitement". :) Plus you aren't out the 70 dollars for the designed tool for this, that you probably won't use that often. It wold be a great service if a person could rent tools along with buying parts...Hint, Hint, APP!!! :) Hope this observation helped. Rex
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply