Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nittanykid  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:19:40 PM(UTC)
nittanykid

Groups: Registered

We purchased our Amana Refrigerator, Model B136CAL1, in 2000.

Today, we found the refrigerator much too warm and smelling of hot plastic. Turns out all four interior lights are constantly on, heating the refrigerator and causing the smell. The control panel at the top shows a warning light "door open."

I think the door switch is at fault, but I'll be darned if I can find the puppy. There is no button switch in plain view, as you would find on other appliances or a car. I reviewed the detailed diagrams on your website and consulted customer service, but it is still not clear which switch controls the lights, or where it is located.

I'd be grateful for your help in identifying and locating the switch so that I can order the correct part and replace it.

You guys have been a huge help in the past, and I'm counting on you again.

Thanks in advance!
NittanyKid (Penn State, 1980)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 9:50:49 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for B136CAL1 models | AppliancePartsPros.com

Do not know if I can be of much help but perhaps the following manual will help.
Looking at the switch (Page 23) it seems that there must be a lever or cam that closes it. They say it is behind the air discharge grille (Page 35), but I do not know what part that is.

Download B136.pdf
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
nittanykid  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:16:09 PM(UTC)
nittanykid

The light switch was indeed the problem, and your tip along with the manual allowed me to find it.

The switch is behind the air grill, on the hinge and out of sight. I was prepared to order a new one, but it appeared to just be jammed by a decade's worth of dust bunnies down there beyond where vacuum and dust rag can reach.
nittanykid  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 6:44:45 PM(UTC)
nittanykid

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for B136CAL1 models | AppliancePartsPros.com

Do not know if I can be of much help but perhaps the following manual will help.
Looking at the switch (Page 23) it seems that there must be a lever or cam that closes it. They say it is behind the air discharge grille (Page 35), but I do not know what part that is.

Download B136.pdf

Sorry to trouble you again, but the door light switch is acting up again after several weeks. It needs to be replaced.

But I still cannot find the part on your website. It is, as you described, the switch that is second from the top on the repair manual you helpfully provided. I could not find that part in my search for "switch" in the parts listings for this model, or on the schematics -- especially 9 and 10.

Can you help?
denman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:34:22 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I do not work for AppliancePartsPro so do not have access to all the info they may have.
You may want to give them a call to see if they can locate it.

Using the MFG # 1318403W I did find Item 1311 in Section 9 when I did a search for "switch", perhaps this is what you need.
Click on the picture of the parts and a new page with more views will open.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Mystic River  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:09:31 AM(UTC)
Mystic River

We have the same Amana B136CAL1, purchased in 1999.

BACKGROUND

A few times over the past 2 years we have had the same problem where closing the door, the lights stay on, and the heat builds up to the point that the butter melted and ran all over.

It happened again last night, and the temporary fix was to unscrew the bulbs. This morning, reading this thread, I learned where the switch was, and noticed that I could hear it click as I opened and closed the door. I screwed in the bulbs and checked that they were turning off using the motion-picture feature of my camera.

QUESTIONS

1. Can you re-post the service manual?
2. Do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this problem from recurring?

Thanks!
Mystic River  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:10:27 AM(UTC)
Mystic River

Nittany, did replacing the switch solve your problem?
nittanykid  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:05:07 PM(UTC)
nittanykid

Yes, Mystic River, the new switch works great.

Unlike the old switch, which is triggered by movement of the hinge, the replacement switch is mounted to white vertical face above the refrigerator opening, where the door compresses the button when it closes. The part--which I had to obtain from ************************ since it's not available here--came with detailed instructions and was easily installed by this novice. It cost me $33 plus shipping in June.

Cheers,
Nittanykid
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply