Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
denman  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 5:29:01 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You do not need metal on metal.
You may have to wrap the copper wire around the heater a couple more times to get decent heat transfer.
Leave some spacing between the wraps so you do not create a cold spot on your heater.
Then check it to see how hot it gets by doing a manual defrost after it is installed.

Note: that the face of the defrost thermostat must be frozen for the heater to come on.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
thanks 1 user thanked denman for this useful post.
coyote2 on 4/17/2019(UTC)
coyote2  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:14:32 AM(UTC)
coyote2

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
You do not need metal on metal.
You may have to wrap the copper wire around the heater a couple more times to get decent heat transfer.
Leave some spacing between the wraps so you do not create a cold spot on your heater.
Then check it to see how hot it gets by doing a manual defrost after it is installed.

Note: that the face of the defrost thermostat must be frozen for the heater to come on.
The 'drain defrost install' is done, thank you very much denman! You made it easy enough that even I, with little mechanical ability, could do it.

I've forced a couple defrost cycles (once after letting frost build overnight), and while the frost on the evaporator and wire melts, and neither remain cold, not only is the wire not too hot, it doesn't feel particularly 'warm'..but then neither does the defrost heater itself. I guess in a couple days I'll know for sure whether the drain remains clear now.

p.s. I was surprised to find that instead of the 30-minute defrost period the manual listed, it only lasts 15 minutes.
denman  
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:20:37 AM(UTC)
denman

Was the 15 minutes when the compressor turned back on or just that the defrost heater shut off.

If the latter then the defrost thermostat shut it off once the frost was melted off the coils.
This is how it is supposed to work so you do not get excessive heat into the freezer.
coyote2  
#14 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:49:11 AM(UTC)
coyote2

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Was the 15 minutes when the compressor turned back on or just that the defrost heater shut off.

If the latter then the defrost thermostat shut it off once the frost was melted off the coils.
This is how it is supposed to work so you do not get excessive heat into the freezer.
In (each time about) 15 minutes the compressor actually turned back on. (I honestly don't know what "compressor" means, but in context I gather that that's the loud component that freezes the compartment.)
coyote2  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 9:37:29 AM(UTC)
coyote2

Originally Posted by: coyote2 Go to Quoted Post
I've forced a couple defrost cycles (once after letting frost build overnight), and while the frost on the evaporator and wire melts, and neither remain cold, not only is the wire not too hot, it doesn't feel particularly 'warm'..but then neither does the defrost heater itself. I guess in a couple days I'll know for sure whether the drain remains clear now.
Now a couple days have passed, and it seems that the drain is remaining clear! Thank you denman!

The 'drain path' to the drain has some ice on it, but perhaps that won't build up further. Time will tell. If so, depending on how much buildup there is on the drain path, perhaps I'll defrost it either (manually if the need is infrequent) with boiling water or (if the need is frequent) I'll run another 'copper-wire defroster' along the drain path.

Already, this will save me many hundreds of hours, thank you!
coyote2  
#16 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2011 8:54:07 AM(UTC)
coyote2

Originally Posted by: coyote2 Go to Quoted Post
Now a couple days have passed, and it seems that the drain is remaining clear! Thank you denman!

The 'drain path' to the drain has some ice on it, but perhaps that won't build up further. Time will tell. If so, depending on how much buildup there is on the drain path, perhaps I'll defrost it either (manually if the need is infrequent) with boiling water or (if the need is frequent) I'll run another 'copper-wire defroster' along the drain path.
Now 6 weeks later, the drain continues to remain clear. Just a little more buildup on the path. Perhaps after many months I will need to use hot water (which before this fix I had to use every other day). I couldn't be more happy with this fix, thank you again, denman!
denman  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:44:14 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome and I am glad to hear it is working for you.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.

If it ices up again in the future perhaps add one more wrap around the heating element, this will add a little more heat to the drain defroster.
icyge  
#18 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 12:55:36 PM(UTC)
icyge

hoping to piggyback my question onto this solution, since I have the same problem with my GE GDS18SBR/LBR. like clockwork my drain pan will collect enough ice to block the drain hole in a week.

first I tried loosely coiling copper wire (probably 18 gauge) around the defrost element and draping it down the drain, didn't work. then, since the drain pan under the evaporator is a separate piece from the part that funnels the liquid to the drain I installed a tube directly from the drain pan to the drain hole, also didn't work. I ended up coiling the copper tighter around the element, wrapping it in foil, then draping a strand of the copper through my custom drain tube. worked great for a couple months but now I'm back to a weekly manual defrost schedule.

has anyone been able to troubleshoot this kind of problem to a specific part of the system? I know the defrost timer and element work. if the thermostat has any kind of failure it isn't keeping the element from turning on. is there an expansion valve that could be leaking causing the drain pan to be warm enough to melt at the defrost element but cold enough to re-freeze at the drain?
coyote2  
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:01:38 PM(UTC)
coyote2

After three years functioning perfectly, my drain defroster stopped working; suddenly I now again need to apply a pot of hot water every other day.

So I unscrewed the panel and inspected the drain defroster, expecting to find it had detached or something...but I looks exactly as it did the day I installed it. With the exception of the fact that the wire wound around the heating element is no longer copper-colored. It now looks gray.

Time for me to get another copper wire and start over?
denman  
#20 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 2:06:41 AM(UTC)
denman

I am assuming that the evaporator coils are defrosting properly and it is just a drain problem.
Also that the drain line is clear. Could be that gunk has grown in the drain line and is slowing down the draining so even with with a drain heater you still get drain freeze ups.
If it drains slow then flush the drain line with a 10% bleach solution.
This should kill anything in the drain line and let you flush it out with warm water.
A turkey baster comes in handy when doing this.
Just take care that you do not overflow your drip tray.
Also wear old clothes unless you are into bleach designs on your clothes.

I am not sure why the drain heater wire is gray.
I would also replace your drain heater.
Check that the defrost heater looks OK where the drain heater is wrapped around it.
Clean it if it also has gray deposits.

Then I would let the unit cool down again and force a defrost cycle just to be sure everything is working OK.
Be careful to not burn your fingers on the defrost heater.
The drain heater just has to get warm.

The evaporator coils have to be frozen or the defrost thermostat will not be closed and this kills power to the defrost heater.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply