Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Petman  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:27:55 PM(UTC)
Petman

Groups: Registered

Just started happening. Trash compactor works just fine and then on the odd occasion it won't start/move. What I mean is that when I lift the foot pedal the motor hums as if it is trying to start but the compactor doesn't move. What I then do is to take a crescent wrench and turn the drive screws on each side about a quarter turn and then it works fine again. Seems that perhaps the screw gets stuck or misaligned at the top of the cycle. Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix? Also, I was trying to get a schematic for this unit if anyone knows how/where to get it? Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ROBMAY1  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 4:23:39 AM(UTC)
ROBMAY1

all ge trash compactors seem to have same problem,it's the motor
I just replaced mine and it works fine now
My guess is turning the screw also turns the defective motor,and then it works for a few times
I contacted Ge,but they have their head up their ass,so you have to fix it yourself
$165 for motor and drive gear kit
Petman  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 1:19:54 PM(UTC)
Petman

I replaced the motor with the "upgraded model" from Pro Supply. Came in about 2 days and was 145 shipped. Took about 15 minutes once the compactor was removed from its location. Make sure to have grease on hand as well for the new drive gear and to lube up the parts for the next many years. Used this http://XXX.searspartsdirect.com.../0432/0110000?pathTaken= to find the part number. Thanks for everyone's help and disappointing that this was the cause but it has worked fine ever since.
Gabe77  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 5:32:06 PM(UTC)
Gabe77

Originally Posted by: Petman Go to Quoted Post
Just started happening. Trash compactor works just fine and then on the odd occasion it won't start/move. What I mean is that when I lift the foot pedal the motor hums as if it is trying to start but the compactor doesn't move. What I then do is to take a crescent wrench and turn the drive screws on each side about a quarter turn and then it works fine again. Seems that perhaps the screw gets stuck or misaligned at the top of the cycle. Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix? Also, I was trying to get a schematic for this unit if anyone knows how/where to get it? Thanks

Just had the same issue but mine would work sometimes. It turned out to be the centrifugal switch inside the motor. The switch is connected to motor armature and switched a cap into the circuit at startup to give the motor the torque it need to start. I cleaned the contact up and adjusted the leakage and it was good to go. This saved me replacing the motor.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply