Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
80sGuy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 12:21:09 AM(UTC)
80sGuy

Groups: Registered

While the fridge is in normal operating mode; when I slide the Cold Control from the fresh food compartment to 'off'; everything stops, but when I slide it back to 'on' at around mid level; all the fans came back on except for the compressor. I also hear a 'click' from the start relay about 25-30 seconds later but there's no 'humming' to the compressor and it is still off.

The only way to get the compressor running again is if I:
*leave the Cold Control set to 'on',
*unplug the power cord and then wait for another 'click',
*plug the power cord back in to the ac outlet
After this procedure, then the compressor and everything else would come back to normal again.

Is this normal, and will the compressor start again if I waited longer without unplugging it? I read somewhere that if I turned the fridge 'off' with the cold control, it would manually trigger to 'defrost mode'??? Need help!!!

FYI: 'Overload/Relay Kit' and 'Run Capacitor' was newly installed two weeks ago.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:57:00 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
All the indications are for a hard start compressor. If you turn it off, then on, the compressor will normally have trouble starting till the pressures equalize. If the compressor takes much longer to start than normal after turning off, you have a bad start winding in the compressor.
Usually a good compressor will start after one or two minets of equalization time.
80sGuy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:34:59 AM(UTC)
80sGuy

I didn't wait that long for the compressor to respond because I didn't know what the outcome would be. So the next time if I turned the lever to 'off' should I wait for a minute or so for it to come back on? Everything works fine once it starts and it cycles on/off fine pretty much on time.
Drags1998  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 11:23:30 AM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

80's guy, If you turn it off or unplug it, you MUST WAIT!!!!! at least 5min. before attemping to RESTART, You are putting a HUGE load on the Relay-Overload, Which WILL HURT STUFF if you keep it up!!!:eek:
80sGuy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 12:38:14 PM(UTC)
80sGuy

Originally Posted by: Drags1998 Go to Quoted Post
80's guy, If you turn it off or unplug it, you MUST WAIT!!!!! at least 5min. before attemping to RESTART, You are putting a HUGE load on the Relay-Overload, Which WILL HURT STUFF if you keep it up!!!:eek:
Good to know. Thanks!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply