Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nothing Finer  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2022 9:09:30 AM(UTC)
Nothing Finer

Groups: Registered
United States

I got up one morning recently and tried to light my KitchenAid gas cooktop to make an omelette. When I pushed down and turned the burner knob, I heard a loud “pop”, and the burner did not light. The igniters were sparking but no gas was flowing to be lit.

Once I looked into how the cooktop works, I concluded that the solenoid-operated gas valve had failed. The igniters and all other electrics are working. But before ordering a replacement solenoid valve I wanted to confirm the diagnosis.

I disassembled the cooktop to reach the electrical connectors from the solenoid and attached a digital multimeter to them. When I push down and turn a burner knob, the multimeter reading bounces around at levels less than one volt until the lighting cycle times out. I expected to see higher, steady voltage to the solenoid. What voltage should be going to the solenoid and what voltage does the solenoid need to open? I'd love to be able to apply that voltage to the solenoid to confirm whether or not it operates. And, is the loud pop consistent with failure of the solenoid?

The model number is KFGU706VSS01. Luckily I still have my old 2-burner Coleman camp stove to get me by for now! Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.