Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rileyroo  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 6:01:10 AM(UTC)
rileyroo

Groups: Registered

My GE 460 washer drain motor is running but the tub is empty and it won't shut off.

I unplugged it, but when I plug it back in the drain motor starts again.

I tried pressing and holding the button to STOP the cycle but that doesn't do anything. I tried resetting the motor by lifting the lid 6 times after unplugging/replugging, but that didn't do anything either.

What next steps can I take to troubleshoot/reset?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cally45455  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 8:49:01 AM(UTC)
cally45455

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mine is doing the exact same thing. Same model...only 18 mos old. Did you find out the problem? thanks
rileyroo  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 8:57:01 AM(UTC)
rileyroo

Kind of. I have an extended warranty so I just had the repairman come out (I was first trying to see if it was something simple before calling them).

He didn't even look at the machine. When I described what it was doing he just says "you need a new motor control board".

Of course, he had to order it. It's supposed to be here next week.

I'll update this thread after that gets installed to let anyone know if that was the cause.
cally45455  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 9:10:10 AM(UTC)
cally45455

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!
Didn't purchase extended warranty...yes I am kicking myself....I will try calling GE and see if they will cover it under California's implied warranty law. fingers crossed. Please update when part arrives. Thanks again.
cally45455  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 5:49:10 PM(UTC)
cally45455

Found the solution for my GTW460 which was stuck in drain mode. GE repairman ran diagnostics. He explained that the washing cycle had been placed on pause. It had not been restarted so 12 hours later it automatically went into 'over-ride pump mode'. That why the pump was running in the middle of the night and wouldn't shut off.
He explained that in 'over-ride mode' the pump drains for 10 min. During this time, none of the buttons or lights work. Only the pump works. After 10 min. the washer resets and works as it normally would.
Too bad this info isn't in the troubleshooting guide!!!!!!
There is a vague reference but the wording isn't specific enough for an owner to figure it out. Even the repairman read the wording and agreed an owner would have not be able to troubleshoot with their guide. Hope this helps.
thanks 1 user thanked cally45455 for this useful post.
Elvira on 12/10/2021(UTC)
cally45455  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:02:11 PM(UTC)
cally45455

Originally Posted by: rileyroo Go to Quoted Post
Kind of. I have an extended warranty so I just had the repairman come out (I was first trying to see if it was something simple before calling them).

He didn't even look at the machine. When I described what it was doing he just says "you need a new motor control board".

Of course, he had to order it. It's supposed to be here next week.

I'll update this thread after that gets installed to let anyone know if that was the cause.

If yours has not yet been fixed. You might go ahead, plug it back in and wait 5 min so so and see if the pump goes through its cycle and resets. Our repairman said it will not burn out the pump.
rileyroo  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 12:27:13 PM(UTC)
rileyroo

This is good information to know. Kind of a bad design in my opinion, but if they had put that in the troubleshooting guide, it would have saved some time and trouble. That was also why I posted on this forum to see if there was anything like that.

The repairman just left after replacing the motor control board and it works now. This was covered by extended warranty so it didn't cost me anything.
jimbojones123  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:55:00 AM(UTC)
jimbojones123

Are there more of these service bulletins? I have been having an issue with my washer not spinning the load. I could get it to spin when in the service mode and then clearing the faults would reset it back to working, but it wont even do that anymore. Now it will run everything but the spin cycle, it kinda starts up and quits then lights up like its done. Should I try and fix myself, call a tech, or set this thing on fire?
jimbojones123  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 8:11:52 AM(UTC)
jimbojones123

thanks! Is there an easy way to get my hands on one of these programmers?
jimbojones123  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 8:16:33 AM(UTC)
jimbojones123

Yea. I made the dumbass decision to update the washer along with the dry because the old dryer went out. Last washer I had was at least 10yrs old, this one less than 2. f me.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply