Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JohnHoward28  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:12:37 PM(UTC)
JohnHoward28

Groups: Registered

So, last night my fridge just stopped working all the sudden. The lights and fans all run, but the compressor just quite. I mean not even a buzz or anything. I tested that it has 120 voltage to it. I pulled off the inverter board and tested the 3 post on the compressor with my multi meter. My multi meter has six ohm settings, 200, 2000, 20k, 200k 20M and 200M. I get no reading at all on the first five ohm settings. When I set it to 200M I get a measurement of 0.9 on all three post.

Is my compressor bad?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

JohnHoward28  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 7:08:44 PM(UTC)
JohnHoward28

Originally Posted by: ohm Go to Quoted Post
Inverter compressor set meter on lowest ohm setting and you should measure 10 ohms on all three compressor terminals. Here is your Mini manual and a manual that may help you.

I am not real familiar with Ohm theory. Can you tell which of the six settings is the lowest? Is it?

1. 200M
2. 20M
3. 200k
4. 20k
5. 2000
6. 200

I get nothing when I test on settings 2 thru 6. I Only get a measurement on setting 1 (200M). It reads 0.9 on all three pins on that setting.
JohnHoward28  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 7:42:37 PM(UTC)
JohnHoward28

In the video he has what they call a auto range ohmmeter so you don't have to put it on any given setting it does it for you.You should read about 10 ohm's on the 3 pins just like in the video. If not bad compressor or maybe get another meter to back up your readings to be sure.

I have watched that video about 10 times. I also got another auto adjusting meter. (AIMO MS2108A Auto Range Digital Clamp Meter 400 AC DC Current Hz Tester).

It give me totally random reading that are all over the place. The reading change every time I test the same pins. But the readings never change when I use my manual adjusted meter.

So I am guessing the compressor is out. Or both my meters are bad. I don't know, everything is not making sense.

I there a way to test the INVERTER Board? I know the main board is outputting the correct voltage, but I can't find a way to test the Inverter board. If I could test the inverter board and if it is good, then I would know that the compressor is bad. Personally, I have never seen a compressor just stop working all together. This one does not even try to turn on or make any sound when the fridge is plugged in. Not even the slightest vibration. Kind of odd for it to just go out all at once.
JohnHoward28  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 9:21:16 AM(UTC)
JohnHoward28

In the video he has what they call a auto range ohmmeter so you don't have to put it on any given setting it does it for you.You should read about 10 ohm's on the 3 pins just like in the video. If not bad compressor or maybe get another meter to back up your readings to be sure.

So I went and bought a third multi-meter (auto) and some clamp on electrodes. With this one, I got 6.5 ohms across all three pins on the compressor. I used the camp electrodes on my other auto adjusting multi-meter and got the same thing. So evidently, the random reading I was getting was caused by me not being to maintain a constant pressure on the pin with the electrode.

I am assuming this means the compressor is good?
JohnHoward28  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:06:24 AM(UTC)
JohnHoward28

Yes compressor check out good on the Ohm reading. Looks like bad inverter. If you follow video and got all the correct DC voltage out of the board and the 120 volts to the inverter. Than buy the inverter.

Okay. So I am looking for a new Inverter board. My current board has this model number: VCC3 1156 01 F 41. I have looked everywhere and this model number does not exist. When I go to appliance parts sites and type in the model number of my refrigerator: ( GSH22JFXLBB ) this is the board they say will work with my refrigerator: WR49X10283 . They say it replaces all of these model numbers: WR55X10490, WR55X10685, WR55X10979, WR55X11029. My concern is that the frequency on this new board is not the same as my old board. My old board says: "230V - 53 TO 150Hz" This new board says: "230V - 53 TO 133Hz"

Will this board work? I need some help. It cost $150 and I don't wan to make a mistake.

Here are some pictures of the old and new boards.

My Old Board
UserPostedImage

New Board that is supposed to replace it.
UserPostedImage
JohnHoward28  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:32:57 PM(UTC)
JohnHoward28

Thanks. I got it on order. Hope it is the problem. Life is hard without a fridge. especially when you live 40 miles from town like me.
JohnHoward28  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2018 10:49:12 AM(UTC)
JohnHoward28

So I got the Inverter board in and installed it. Works fine now. Thanks for the help.

On a side note. What is the best way to clean the condenseing coil on this thing? It has this weird three layer barrel shaped coil that is impossible get at to clean.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply