Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
velo555  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:43:24 PM(UTC)
velo555

Groups: Registered

Came back from vacation Sunday night. When put in a load of laundry the washer started making a new noise. Here is a video. Any help would be appreciated.

Whirlpool washer noise. - YouTube

This load was a little uneven, but on others that had more even weight distribution the loud popping noise was still there.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:25:37 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Worn agitate cam in the gearcase allowing the agitate gear to partially engage while in spin mode. You can replace the gearcase or tear the gearcase down and replace the cam.

Whirlpool 3360629 Neutral Drain Transmission - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool 285206 Agitate Cam - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
velo555  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:40:07 PM(UTC)
velo555

Thanks for the response. I am no afraid to take apart the gearbox. Never done it before. Do I need any other parts other than the cam. I see gasket sealer and gear case oil in the parts list.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:44:53 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

You can reuse the existing oil. Just secure the gearcase in a level position when you take the cover off. You will need to run a putty knife around it to break through the sealant (no preformed gasket). Dump the oil and strain it for reuse. Remove the spin pinion gear, spin gear, neutral drain mechanism, agitate rack and shifter. Now just pull the agitator shaft out. Turn it over and clamp it in a vise with protection so you don't mar it. Push the agitate gear down against the spring pressure and rotate it slightly and release so that the splines on the shaft hold the gear in place while you take the clip, washers, cam and cam follower off.

As long as your washer was draining without spinning, you don't really need to replace anything else. Check the teeth on the plastic spin gear for excessive wear.

Eric
velo555  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:42:57 PM(UTC)
velo555

Thank you for your help. Sorry to keep asking you question. I do not have any Loctite 515 gasket sealer like you guys sell. I do have some Permatex 51813 Anaerobic gasket maker. Will this work? Sorry to sound cheap, I just got back from vacation and have about $95 in the bank thanks to overspending/gifting while on said vacation.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:09:11 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Yes, that should work just fine.

Eric
velo555  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 10:38:11 AM(UTC)
velo555

Eric,

I finally have a day off of work. I need to do some brake work on a buddies car first, then take apart my washer finally. Your final comment in post #4 kept haunting me so I decided to run a load to check if it was draining without spinning. I did a large load of work clothes on normal cycle. Here are the results for each cycle:

1. Fill-ok
2. Wash-ok
3. Drain-NOK basket & drain were both spinning with noises like video
4. Spin- NOK noises like those from video
5. Rinse-ok
6. Drain-NOK basket & drain were both spinning with noises like video
7. Spin- NOK noises like those from video

The only way I could make the noise go away during the drain and spin cycles is if I physically stood there and held the agitator to keep it from spinning.

Victor
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 10:57:23 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Yes, holding the agitator will stop the noise as you are stopping the agitator shaft from spinning. If it drains and spins at the same time, the nuetral drain mechanism is not working and should be replaced. It should normally drain for a minute or two and then the motor should stop for a few seconds to release neutral drain, then start again to spin and continue to drain the water that gets spun out of the clothes.

Whirlpool 388253 Neutral Drain Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
unlandano  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:12:20 AM(UTC)
unlandano

Groups: Banned Users

velo555  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 3:30:44 PM(UTC)
velo555

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I took the washer apart and found one of the pawls in the neutral drain kit broken. I also found some other stuff worn or damaged. In all I replaced:

-agitate cam (checked ok but I had new one)
-neutral drain kit (broken pawl)
-motor coupling (worn)
-clutch assembly (clutch pads were into the rivets)
-washer 8543666 (tab was broken)
-oil (old was nasty)
-med cam agitate repair kit (only one dog had any tooth material left)

I got it all back together and now it won't agitate right. drain and spin cycles are fine. I took it back apart and checked that everything was in order but still not dice. I had the motor and the capacitor off. Could I have hooked the capacitor up wrong? Let me know if video or pics would help. Thank you so much for what you have done so far.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply