Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ezephyr  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 9:01:55 AM(UTC)
Ezephyr

Groups: Registered

I have a top loading kenmore washer that would fill up with water but would not agitate, does not spin, and does not drain. However it does make a sound similar to a hum or a buzz from under the tub.

I took it apart and found that the wiring harness connected to the motor has burn marks corresponding to the white neutral wire. See the attached photo.

I had difficulty spinning the motor shaft. So I disassembled enough to get to the coupler and pump. The pump was clear and had no obstruction. I found the coupler to be intact and the transmission gearbox to work appropriately in both CW and CCW directions.

After turning the motor shaft with a pliers it became easier to turn, so I reassembled the washer.

I turned it back on and the washer filled up and agitated for a minute or two. Then it quit and only the humming/buzzing sound was heard from under tub. I assume the motor has again seized?!?

Should I replace the motor? Should I replace the timer? Or both?

Thanks,
Ezephyr
Ezephyr attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 10:13:30 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I would replace the motor but you will also need to replace the terminal in the motor connector and possibly the connector itself if you can't get the terminal out due to any melted/deformed part of the connector. There's a small tab on the terminal that holds it inside the connector body. You can use a jewelers screwdriver or similar to get in there and press on the tab while pulling on the wire to get it out. Then you would need to cut and strip the wire. If the wire strands are discolored, you will need to keep cutting back and stripping it til you find good wire. If the wire is no longer long enough to reach the connector, you would have to splice a new piece in. A special crimping tool is required to install these terminals. Doing all this is very important or you will continue to have problems in the future. You must have a good clean connection. Also check the pump for any signs of leakage. Is there rust on the motor shaft? Typically, the pump will leak where the motor shaft engages and water gets into the motor rusting up the shaft and bearings.

Eric
Ezephyr  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 7:20:57 PM(UTC)
Ezephyr

The pump does not appear to be leaking.

When it does work, the motor makes a clacking sound along with its rotation which degenerates into a hum once the motor stops spinning.

Thanks,
EZephyr
Ezephyr  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:36:12 AM(UTC)
Ezephyr

More data: When the washer agitates, there is 119V AC across the motor connector terminals. As the washer continues to agitate, a rattling sound from the motor area gets louder and louder, and the voltage drops 118...117...116.... The washer agitates for approximately a minute, gradually getting lounder and with gradually dropping voltage, and then stops, sits there and makes a hum sound. The voltage at that point stays steady at 107V AC.

I have to turn it off, unplug, and let it sit there overnight before I am able to get it to agitate again.

Thanks,
Ezephyr
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:46:38 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Did you order that new motor yet? Thanks for the updates, keep us posted for the benefit of others reading the forum. Good job on digging in there and doing some real troubleshooting.

Eric
Ezephyr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:17:52 AM(UTC)
Ezephyr

Yes, I ordered the motor. Should be here tomorrow. I hope to install it tomorrow night and report the result by Friday.

Ezephyr
Ezephyr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:41:49 PM(UTC)
Ezephyr

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I came, I saw, I fixed.

It worked! Thanks for the advice,

Ezephyr
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply