Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vettman  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:22:28 AM(UTC)
vettman

Groups: Registered

This freezer is 35 years old, and still works just fine, albeit not very efficiently. The door on this chest-type freezer used to stay open when lifted to the fully open position, but now it won't stay open. I have searched for some way to tighten/adjust the hinges, but don't see any access. Is there some method to adjusting the door so that it will once again stay open?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Homeowner1270  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 4:33:14 PM(UTC)
Homeowner1270

Our Sears chest freezer had the same problem. Our root problem may or may not be the same as yours. We found out that the problem was caused by an accumulation of ice hidden in the inside of the lid, which made the lid too heavy for the hinge springs. After defrosting the entire freezer, including allowing enough time for all the ice in the lid to melt, then the lid was a ton lighter, and the hinge springs were able to keep the lid open.
bgkaufman  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 2:46:14 AM(UTC)
bgkaufman

Now my freezer door stays open. Defrosting top using hairdryer worked;water comes out seal and I kept putting rags to gather up the water. First I had used the flash defrost to defrost the main part of the Sears freezer, but it didn't seem to do anything for the top. Used hair dryer inside the top for quite a while, then used it on the metal top. I had been concerned about where the water that was defrosted would go to. Not a problem as it comes out the seal at the bottom as well as a bit by the light. I had usually defrosted the freezer more, so not sure if this is why this is the first time I had the problem. I also don't know if possibly I need to get a new seal -- anyone have thoughts on that??
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply