Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
GE
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AngelArs  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 6:27:29 PM(UTC)
AngelArs

Groups: Registered

Bought a display model dishwasher from Home Depot. I don't think it was ever a working unit or hooked up before I bought it. This thing has never worked correctly. No matter what soap I use it never cleans the dishes. It also never rinses them very well because there is white stuff all over them when the dishwasher turns off. I don't think we have hard water here so I'm guessing it's the soap that I'm seeing. Any idea on where to start troubleshooting this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:46:41 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AngelArs Go to Quoted Post
Bought a display model dishwasher from Home Depot. I don't think it was ever a working unit or hooked up before I bought it. This thing has never worked correctly. No matter what soap I use it never cleans the dishes. It also never rinses them very well because there is white stuff all over them when the dishwasher turns off. I don't think we have hard water here so I'm guessing it's the soap that I'm seeing. Any idea on where to start troubleshooting this?

Angel,

Most "washability" complaints are pretty much universal across the appliance industry.

Most cities can give you a close estimate on water hardness and water conditions for the water they supply. You may want to check, so you're using the proper amount of detergent for the water conditions/hardness.
Make sure the water temperature, in the tub is at least 120 dgrs. on the first fill of a wash cycle.
I've always reccomended and used a "plain" (no additives) powderred detergent, and maintained a proper water temperature, and no rinse agent.
Make sure you're loading the dishwasher properly, and not blocking the spray arms or detergent cup area with a large item. The water level in the bottom of the tub, should be as high as the lower lip of the tub opening(general rule) where the door seal / door meets the tub.
These are just some of the more common, easy things to check, Your user's manual has other checks and reccomendations to assist in the determination of washability problems.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
AngelArs  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:59:37 PM(UTC)
AngelArs

Groups: Registered

THANKS for trying to help out. I appreciate it :)

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Make sure the water temperature, in the tub is at least 120 dgrs. on the first fill of a wash cycle.

Water temp is now exactly 135. It was hotter but I just turned it down yesterday.

Quote:
I've always reccomended and used a "plain" (no additives) powderred detergent, and maintained a proper water temperature, and no rinse agent.

I've tried every brand of detergent there is. Makes no difference as far as the outcome goes. There is always a white residue on everything and most of the dirty dishes are barely touched.

I have also tried running a cycle with no soap to rinse the white stuff off, but it doesn't help.

Quote:
Make sure you're loading the dishwasher properly, and not blocking the spray arms or detergent cup area with a large item.

Yes I've checked this and it doesn't matter how it's loaded or even how many things are in the dishwasher, they never get cleaned.

Quote:
The water level in the bottom of the tub, should be as high as the lower lip of the tub opening(general rule) where the door seal / door meets the tub.

I looked at this yesterday and should probably look at it again. I added a few quarts of water to see if it would help, but it didn't.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:16:54 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AngelArs Go to Quoted Post
THANKS for trying to help out. I appreciate it :)

Water temp is now exactly 135. It was hotter but I just turned it down yesterday.

I've tried every brand of detergent there is. Makes no difference as far as the outcome goes. There is always a white residue on everything and most of the dirty dishes are barely touched.

I have also tried running a cycle with no soap to rinse the white stuff off, but it doesn't help.

Yes I've checked this and it doesn't matter how it's loaded or even how many things are in the dishwasher, they never get cleaned.

I looked at this yesterday and should probably look at it again. I added a few quarts of water to see if it would help, but it didn't.

Angel,

If you're sure the water level is correct, then the problem would be in the wash pump assembly or filter.

Remove the screws holding the filter to the sump assembly(the rectangular box, on the bottom of the tub, behind the lower spray arm), remove the filter(s) and check if they are clogged or damaged, carefully reach down inside the sump, and clear any debris in the sump.
From there we'd need to dismantle the pump assembly and determine if you've got a damaged impeller etc.

:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply