Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jbenjamin  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 8:51:14 AM(UTC)
jbenjamin

Groups: Registered

Hi, my wife asked me to look at our dryer because the clothes were taking way to long to dry (like 5 hours and still wet). It appeared the dryer was not heating, so I pulled the front off and started the dryer holding the door switch with my finger. The igniter glowed for about 5 seconds and then the burner lite. The flame filled the entire tube, it did not look blue but looked large and yellow. So I unplugged the dryer and pulled it away from the wall, I then removed the vent tube to check for lint. It had very little lint since my wife says she cleans the lint trap after every clothes drying and even vacuums the opening for the lint trap. I left the vent tube off of the back and started the dryer again. The burner lite once again for about 10 seconds but shut off again. The flame looked very large and yellow again. So at this point I removed the Hi limit thermostat, left the wires attach and set it on the floor. I repeated the start up again, but this time the flame stayed on and didn't shut off until I let go of the door switch (about 1 minute).

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give a full description.

My question is- Should the flame be this big and yellow or should it be smaller and blue? Is the gas valve not operating properly or is my Hi limit switch bad.

It appears that the gas valve may not be operating properly since the flame is so big and yellow but not sure since I've never seen the burner flame until now.
By the way, I checked the air flow out of the back to the vent pipe and it is blowing like you would expect.

Thanks for any help,

John
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:34:34 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your dryer is not supplying forced air to the burner. I would check for a blockage on the back wall of the dryer, like a bounce sheet stuck on the vent, or the vent pipe from the burner disconnected from the back wall.
jbenjamin  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 9:12:15 AM(UTC)
jbenjamin

I pulled the dryer away from the wall, pulled the vent tube from the dryer and looked into the dryer through it's vent with a flashlight and didn't see any obstruction (dryer sheet). I pulled the lint trap and looked down to the blower using a flashlight and again didn't see any obstruction, including lint. I turned the dryer drum to confirm that the blower fan was operating. So at this point I have run out of ideas.

Does the gas valve have a regulator in it?

Thanks

John
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 1:37:41 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There is no regulator in your dryer. There is a regulator on your propane bottle if you use propane. It does sound like too much gas pressure.
jbenjamin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:30:53 AM(UTC)
jbenjamin

Ok, found the solution to my problem. First the gas jet on the burner was for natural gas and not propane (I have propane, the appliance store left the natural gas jet in when they installed the dryer). Secondly one of my coils was intermittent so I replaced both coils. My dryer now works like it should, the flame is the right size and is blue and not yellow. Thanks for your help on this.

John
FIY  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:41:15 AM(UTC)
FIY

Learn the way how to check the regulator on my dryer.

Thanks!
jbenjamin  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:32:46 AM(UTC)
jbenjamin

Originally Posted by: FIY Go to Quoted Post
Learn the way how to check the regulator on my dryer.

Thanks!

I don't understand the point of this comment. Are you making a statement or asking a question?
FIY  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:36:15 AM(UTC)
FIY

Originally Posted by: jbenjamin Go to Quoted Post
I don't understand the point of this comment. Are you making a statement or asking a question?

I posted my dryer issue here. I'll check the regulator by using the method you provided. Appreciate any suggestion.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply