Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tjg79  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:57:17 AM(UTC)
tjg79

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have a top loading Maytag that seems to trip the out-of-balance switch very often. I can usually reset the switch by opening and closing the lid. After reset, it may trip the switch very soon or go for a few minutes before the next shut down due to the switch. I suspsect something, perhaps a balance spring or bumper is worn out. Before I disassemble the unit to inspect, is there anything that I should be looking for?

Regards
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:10:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is it spinning when it trips?
tjg79  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:04:10 AM(UTC)
tjg79

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Is it spinning when it trips?

No, it trips in the wash cycle. The wash tub is slightly off center. Not so much off center that it won't resume by raising and lowering the lid. Is there a spring that assists the tub to remain centered? If so, I suspect I have a problem with the spring.

Regards
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:52:22 AM(UTC)
richappy

This is a dependable care washer, the best they made. Pull the front panel off and check the springs, one may be loose or stretched.
If the tub seems too loose, you have bad friction pads under the tranny dome.
You would need to use vice grips to pull the springs off, then slip a 2x4 under the tranny pulley to raise the dome, then chisel the pads off and replace.
tjg79  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:09:36 PM(UTC)
tjg79

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
This is a dependable care washer, the best they made. Pull the front panel off and check the springs, one may be loose or stretched.
If the tub seems too loose, you have bad friction pads under the tranny dome.
You would need to use vice grips to pull the springs off, then slip a 2x4 under the tranny pulley to raise the dome, then chisel the pads off and replace.

After pulling the front panel, I don't see any loose or stretched springs. With the tub empty, if I move the tub towards the back of the machine or towards the right, it returns back towards center with spring force. If I move the tub towards the left t side, it barely returns at all. If I move the tub towards the front, it returns towards center, but not as good as when moved towards the rear. Is this an indication of a spring problem or a damper pad problem?

I'm thinking of replacing all three springs and the damper pads.

Regards
tjg79  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:28:58 PM(UTC)
tjg79

Because the interior of the washer looks to be in excellent condition, I'm going to remove the springs to get access to the damper pads and apply some silicone grease. Then reinstall the springs and add a small amount of additional spring tension by tightening the eye bolts that adjust the spring tension.

Regards
richappy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:45:29 AM(UTC)
richappy

This seems like a good idea, you can go to www.applianceaid.com for info on this. Also,you may find one of the damper pads is broken.
tjg79  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:24:55 PM(UTC)
tjg79

I see some grease residue on the sheet metal base and it's dry and hard. I suspect the grease on the damper pads has dried out and not performing as intended. The damper pads may be worn or in otherwise bad condition from the dry grease and friction. This machine is twelve years old and in otherwise excellent condition.

Regards
richappy  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 12:51:24 AM(UTC)
richappy

I have never done this job, but I would replace the damper pads, one may be worn more than the others causing the problem.
tjg79  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:07:24 PM(UTC)
tjg79

Thanks for the advice.

I'll get the new damper pads before I go to the trouble to inspect the original ones. From what I see of the grease visible, they're likely saturated with dried grease.

Regards
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply