Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rankins66  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:29:42 PM(UTC)
rankins66

Groups: Registered

Hello. I have a Kenmore washing machine that I just installed a new clutch kit in but the basket is still slipping. I can put my hand on the basket and keep it from spinning at the beginning of the spin cycle. If I remove my hand the basket will begin to spin. I assumed the clutch kit was bad because I removed the cabinet and I could see the clutch housing spinning while the machine was in the spin cycle. Would a brake issue cause these same symptoms? Or am I looking at a new transmission? How do I verify what to replace? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rankins66  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:38:50 PM(UTC)
rankins66

Originally Posted by: rankins66 Go to Quoted Post
Hello. I have a Kenmore washing machine that I just installed a new clutch kit in but the basket is still slipping. I can put my hand on the basket and keep it from spinning at the beginning of the spin cycle. If I remove my hand the basket will begin to spin. I assumed the clutch kit was bad because I removed the cabinet and I could see the clutch housing spinning while the machine was in the spin cycle. Would a brake issue cause these same symptoms? Or am I looking at a new transmission? How do I verify what to replace? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I just looked up a brake shoe kit for this model and I didn't see one listed.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 3:24:37 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
They are trying to sell the entire spin tube assembly which is not needed! Order AP3094432. Go to my sticky "replacing direct drive washer brake shoes" above, will guide you through the repair.
rankins66  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 3:28:37 AM(UTC)
rankins66

Thanks richappy.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 5:07:06 AM(UTC)
richappy

You are welcome, I got thrown out of another web site for saving people money. I am sure you will just need new brake shoes.
rankins66  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 1:03:22 PM(UTC)
rankins66

So I removed the spin basket. No clothing stuck between the tub and spin basket. Drive block looked good. Pulled the motor and transmission. The brake shoes were worn evenly and the cam that engages the brakes worked good. Brakes didn't appear to be hanging up at all. Is it the spin tube that holds the brake shoes? The brake shoe assembly actually dropped down about 1/2 inch when I removed the transmission. So the brake shoes didn't appear to be hanging up. Although I didn't do a resistance check on the motor in the spin cycle. So I installed a new transmission. I assembled the machine and put it in spin cycle. If I put my hand on the spin basket at the very beginning of the spin cycle the basket still slips. Does it take a few seconds for the clutch to fully engage and spin the basket? Now the machine has a new clutch and transmission and I'm not convinced the problem is fixed. Please help. Thanks again.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 2:23:03 PM(UTC)
richappy

The washer should spin up to full speed with a full load, if not, you probably have dragging brake shoes. An amprobe test would confirm.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply