Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JMehrens  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:15:13 AM(UTC)
JMehrens

Groups: Registered

My ice maker is not making ice, water flows to the water dispenser but not to the ice maker. The I/R sensor at the front of the unit seems to be working fine (lights up and turns off appropriately) In searching for the appropriate fix I located online advice that instructed to use a jump wire between the V and L terminal holes on the ice maker control module, and no water flowed. I'm guessing I need to replace this module?? Do I also need to replace the water inlet valve as well or can you tell me how to properly test this part to see if its bad?

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:09:04 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JMehrens Go to Quoted Post
My ice maker is not making ice, water flows to the water dispenser but not to the ice maker. The I/R sensor at the front of the unit seems to be working fine (lights up and turns off appropriately) In searching for the appropriate fix I located online advice that instructed to use a jump wire between the V and L terminal holes on the ice maker control module, and no water flowed. I'm guessing I need to replace this module?? Do I also need to replace the water inlet valve as well or can you tell me how to properly test this part to see if its bad?

J,

You're almost correct,

When you inserted the jumper from V to L, the valve should have activated.

The indications are, you have a bad fill valve, or a broken wire back to the fill valve(not likely).

If you have a multimeter, that reads voltage,

Disconnect the wires from the ice maker solenoid on the fill valve, and attach the meter leads to both wires.

At the Ice maker module, Insert the jumper into the T and H openings and hold it there until the rake arm starts to rotate, then remove it.

You need to observe your meter, and check for 120 VAC across the wires, when the rake reaches the 1 to 2 o'clock position.

If you get the voltage you have a bad fill valve.

If you get no voltage, you have a bad I/M control module or broken wire.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
appliancegurunot  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:42:40 PM(UTC)
appliancegurunot

Groups: Registered

water dispenser works
i temporarily connected water dispenser valve electrical connectors across icemaker water supply connectors to confirm power to water valve to ice maker works and it does (water shot out when I pushed water dispenser).
I bought extra water valve, but I'm sure that's not it from above.

I can blow air from water valve through ice machine water inlet, so no clogs to ice maker.

'tongs" seem to rotate when i close door switch, but water to icemaker does seem to be demanded. kind of like there's not an electrical signal from the icemaker to demand water??????

I took icemaker (top part) out and saw that connector has 6, but only 4 have metal connectors. I also took opportunity to wash and clean top piece. no improvement.

Green light stays on solid green. Flat white plastic horizontal plate doesn't seem to do much.

I've seen in other posts to jumper H to V or something like that , but have no idea which connections those are.

I have no idea what to do from here. Any thoughts?
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 6:26:54 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: appliancegurunot Go to Quoted Post
water dispenser works
i temporarily connected water dispenser valve electrical connectors across icemaker water supply connectors to confirm power to water valve to ice maker works and it does (water shot out when I pushed water dispenser).
I bought extra water valve, but I'm sure that's not it from above.

I can blow air from water valve through ice machine water inlet, so no clogs to ice maker.

'tongs" seem to rotate when i close door switch, but water to icemaker does seem to be demanded. kind of like there's not an electrical signal from the icemaker to demand water??????

I took icemaker (top part) out and saw that connector has 6, but only 4 have metal connectors. I also took opportunity to wash and clean top piece. no improvement.

Green light stays on solid green. Flat white plastic horizontal plate doesn't seem to do much.

I've seen in other posts to jumper H to V or something like that , but have no idea which connections those are.

I have no idea what to do from here. Any thoughts?

Guru,

Unless I misunderstood you, your fill valve is OK, but we still don't know if the problem is in the Ice Maker or wiring ?

Like I posted before,

You basically follow the same procedure .

With the wires, etc. properly attached to all the components. Tape the door switch closed.

With the cover off and the ice maker in the "Parked" position.

With the jumper wire inserted into the T and H openings( they are located in the lower right hand, bottom area of the control module body, and are beside each other).Once the rake arm starts to run/rotate, remove the jumper, at the 10 to 11 o'clock position, the fill valve should be activated for at least 7 seconds, this will be the time you need to check for 120 VAC across the two wires going to the ice maker solenoid on the fill valve.

Another way to check,

Switch both sets of wires on the fill valve solenoids,

Jump T to H on the icemaker control module front, and place a glass under the water dispenser. When the ice maker reaches the fill increment, you should get 4 to 5 ounces of water from the dispenser into the glass, if the ice maker and wiring are OK.

*** Remember to properly reinstall the wires on the fill valve ***

:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply