Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
melandraul  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 8:54:02 AM(UTC)
melandraul

Groups: Registered

Oven part of range is not functioning, please help!

First some background. I bought this Maytag Gas Range (Model: PGR5710BDW) in 2004. I bought it “used” from someone, but he had never actually used it, as he wanted to switch out the appliances in his new condo, and he didn't need the appliances that came with his unit, which included the range. We didn't install the range right away, as our old range was still working and we wanted to replace some drywall and repaint our kitchen before installing the new range (my husband ended up installing the range). Long story short: we used the range for 2-3 years with no problems before we encountered our present problem.

Here is what happened. We left for vacation for several weeks and didn't realize that the door lock on the range was on (in the locked position) when we left. We think our toddler might have somehow locked the door, or one of us locked it to prevent her from opening the oven door, and forgot about it. The unit had worked perfectly until that time, though we had never used the self-clean function of the oven. But we had no problem with the “Bake” and “Broil” functions. (Though I must say I was never wild about the electronic controls, but hey it was a deal!) Upon returning home and realizing that the door was in the locked position, we moved the lever and unlocked it. However, when we tried to use the oven, neither the "Bake" nor "Broil" control would work. We tried hitting "Cancel", we tried hitting "Clean" again to see if that did it, we tried hitting "Clean" and then hitting “Cancel”, nothing worked. BTW, we hadn’t used the door lock much before this situation arose. I called Maytag and they suggested disconnecting the range from the power source, waiting a few minutes and plugging it back in. We did that numerous times. Nothing worked, and the oven is unusable. The range top (gas, flames) works fine. But the oven doesn't.

My husband has tried messing around with the door lock, pressed different buttons, etc. Sometimes he has gotten a few sporadic flames to come on in the oven, but then it turns off, and he gets Error Code F9 (which I understand could be a “door latch” problem according to the link on your site about Error Codes). Also, when my husband has tried to get the range to turn on and he gets the sporadic flames, we also get a gas smell. It is as if the oven is trying to turn on, but can't quite do it, and it makes me nervous. And when you press "Broil" or "Bake" those lights don't go on, and instead the "Lock" light keeps blinking, regardless of whether you have the door lock locked or not (we have tried pressing “Bake” and “Broil” with the door lock locked and unlocked).

BTW, sometimes the clock works, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will allow you to set the clock time, but then a few hours later the LED display with the time is blinking, as if you are or have been in the process of setting it, even when you haven't touched it. Other times, the time will stay set to the time you had programmed. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to the clock sometimes functioning and sometimes not.

I read through some other posts about control panels on this site. I also read a post someone had written about this same model (in his case the oven would turn off after a few minutes). The expert suggested that person would need a new control panel part, but the cost of the part was over $150, which is pretty pricey.

Honestly, we only bought the range for about $200 or $250 (can't remember), and if it's going to cost over $150, I'd be seriously inclined to just buy a new range altogether and saving ourselves the headache, even though we can’t really afford it right now. Likewise, I don't want to pay someone a lot of money on service calls only to be told I need an expensive part or a new range.

Do you think the door lock latch could be sticking or malfunctioning and that this problem is somehow preventing the control panel from functioning properly? Is there some kind of safety override so you can’t use the oven if the door is not working properly (which would be a sensible safeguard)?

So, what do you think the problem is? What do you think the part(s) would cost, and how much time do you think it would take to fix it? My husband is pretty handy, but he has a really demanding job. Also we have a toddler and I am concerned about safety issues. Would it be the kind of thing he could fix easily and which would not be dangerous to repair? Is it tricky? Is it the kind of thing that could be really dangerous if not repaired properly?

And of course the big question: is it worth repairing?

Please help. I haven't been able to use the oven for months and months (just the range), we don't have a lot of money, and this is driving me crazy!

Sorry for the long post, and I hope I am not repeating myself, but I wanted to give as much info. as possible, so hopefully someone will be able to help us. We need to either repair this, if it’s worth it, or cut our losses and get a new range/oven.

Please help!!!

Thanks,
Mel (melandraul)

P.S. The word processor function of this site doesn't work so well--can't scroll up and insert text, or copy and paste, or make corrections to what you write other than just hitting the "Backspace" button. Also no cursor to see where you are typing. Is there some trick to using this that I am unaware of? It would save a lot of time...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.