Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bruce Kile  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 6:58:48 AM(UTC)
Bruce Kile

Groups: Registered

Washing machine drum does not spin. Got a burning smell which I guess was the belt. Took belt off and motor runs freely. Drun is very hard to spin by hand. Any suggestions ?? thanks
Bruce Kile
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fixtec90  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:05:35 AM(UTC)
fixtec90

Groups: Senior Expert

Don't junk it no matter what! Maytag LAT's are gems! That machine is very similar to the Maytag model A's which this the best designed washer of all time (Can you tell yet I'm an old Maytag technician yet?)
Ok that said, here are the possiblities:
Sock, nail, or rag caught between tubs
Pump
Poor belt tention
Motor
Transmission

If the motor spins fine w/o the belts on your motor is ok. The pump pulley should turn easily by hand. It's not easy to do w/o out a spanner wrench (I can be loosened w/ a hammer and screw driver), but you need to get the inner tub out. Remove the agitator to get started. I find stuff in between tubs a lot. Belt tention is adjusted by moving pump. If all that's ok you may have a bad tranny. That would be a surprize to me though. Those gearcases are built very well. If you do have a bad tranny I recommend paying a pro to make repair. I know exactly what I'm doing on that job and if everything goes perfectly (and they never do on older machines) it takes me 2hrs+.
If it costs you as much as a new machine fix it. It will probably out live anything you can buy today.
Bruce Kile  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:17:01 AM(UTC)
Bruce Kile

Thanks for the great info. I was kind of hoping it was a sock or something jammed in there. Can you give me a clue on how to get the agitator out and then the inner drum ?? I build race bikes (motorcycles) so am not afraid of working on stuff, I just need a clue. thanks again
Bruce Kile
fixtec90  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:35:05 AM(UTC)
fixtec90

I'll give you the best play by play I can from memory (you're in trouble).
The top cap of the agitator can be pried off to expose the nut that holds the agitator in place (1/2in) I think. Loosen bolt and pull. It may take some effort they get stuck sometimes. Remove the Two phillip head screws at the bottom front to remove front panel. Remove the 3/8in bolts (2) 1 in each top front corner and remove bleach hose from top. Pivot top back out of your way. Remove tub ring. Remove bell (metal dome) to expose tub nut. Once you get that off the inner tub is free. It's rarely easy. Oh yeah, I almost forgot (you would have hated me) the tub nut is a reverse thread!
Bruce Kile  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:58:32 AM(UTC)
Bruce Kile

OK, I got the agitator and the inner drum off. Without those parts, it works fine !! All I can see in there now is excessive hardwater buildup deposits. Chunks maybe 1/8" or greater in thickness. Is it possible that those deposits, floating loose in between the inner and outer drum could have jammed it up and prevented it from spinning ?? I hope so....
Bruce Kile  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:27:06 AM(UTC)
Bruce Kile

Thanks to the advise I got here, I was able to get the agitator and drum out and cleaned all the scale and debris out of the tub. Got it back together, NOW..it has a major shaking vibration on spin cycle and cuts the motor off. Did I put the inner drum back in incorrectly ?? I don't see how, it seems like it only goes together one way. Anybody have any thoughts on the new problem that I have created ?? thanks
Bruce Kile
fixtec90  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2008 3:59:48 AM(UTC)
fixtec90

Make sure the tub and agitator are tight. They should have no wobble. Also if your model has a metal tub ring (older models only) it may be pushed down too far. If so you'd hear a scraping noise, so that's probably not it. I don't have any other ideas so I hope the tub is a little loose.
justtalkin  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:17:44 PM(UTC)
justtalkin

Very interested in the outcome of your experience. My washer is doing the same thing. It is approx. 15 years old. Has performed well until now. I replaced the belts, but the drum still will not turn. Can turn it by hand, but very tight. Would appreciate any help you gained from your experience. Thanks in advance.
robin_burr  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 7:47:36 AM(UTC)
robin_burr

My Maytag Washer will not spin, the water drainms out but it is not spinning. I know I have to remove the agitator but I am not sure how to do that? Can anyone out there help?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply