Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Gene Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:41:18 PM(UTC)

Hi makicnc

What is the model number?

Gene.
makicnc Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:24:01 PM(UTC)

Whirlpool belt-drive won't spin when it's supposed to and i don't know what to do
Lmarks Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 7:31:14 AM(UTC)

Hmmm. I posted a reply Thursday, but it seems not to have hit the board.

Ahhh....Sweet sweet success!

I ordered a replacement triac from Mouser Electronics for 32 cents. It took just a few minutes to unsolder the old one and solder the new one in place. I took a quick check of the trigger diode and resistors, but they were fine.

I reinstalled the board and ran the Gentle cycle. It ran to completion and matched the timing diagram exactly! I've since run four or five loads on various cycles (catching up on five weeks laundry), and all the cycles run fine.

Gene, thanks a lot for your advice. Without it I would have wasted a lot more time looking for mechanical problems.

(By the way, I couldn't match the part number on the 23-year-old Motorola triac, so I just ordered one in the same package type but way overrated. A 1-amp, 125 or 150 volt unit would probably work, but I installed a 1-amp, 800 volt unit, ST Microelectronics 511-Z0103NA5AL2. It was only a few cents more.)

Once again, thanks a lot for your advice and help.

Larry Marks
Computer and electronics designer for 39 years.
Lmarks Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:54:41 PM(UTC)

Ahhh....Sweet sweet success.

As mentioned above, I suspected triac 105 (Agitate triac) was "latching up" which is a common failure mode of triacs. They turn on when they are supposed to, but won't turn off until power is completely removed. Thus the washer would agitate, but never switch into a drain cycle (even when the controller signalled the triac to turn off. Since the controller board never saw an "empty" signal from the water level switch, it would agitate forever, or at least until I turned the washer off.

I ordered a triac from Mouser Electronics for 32 cents, and it took just a few minutes to unsolder the old one and solder in the new one. It just ran a complete "Gentle" cycle start to finish, which matched the timing diagram exactly.

Gene, thank you for your reassurance and help. Without it I would have spent way too much time on mechanical stuff.

By the way, I couldn't match the part number of the 23-year-old part, so I just bought a way-overrated part in the same TO-92 package style as the orginal Motorola part. I suspect a 1-amp 125 or 150 volt part would have worked, but the 800-volt, 1-amp part was only a few pennies more. I got a ST Microelectronics 511-Z0103NA5AL2.

Larry Marks
Computer electronics engineer for the last 39 years.
Gene Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2007 8:00:16 PM(UTC)

Hi Larry

I'm glad to hear you found what's wrong. It's a pleasure to deal with people like you. If any further questions - I'm always here.

Gene.
Lmarks Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2007 7:52:02 PM(UTC)

Well, it wasn't mechanical. Everything was smooth, even before I added a little grease on the friction points.

So I laid on the floor and watched a gentle wash cycle. This is the most diagnostic, because you can tell when the agitate cycle is "supposed" to end because the motor switches from low to high speed. The agitate solenoid is supposed to release. My first guess was that it was mechanically not releasing, but when I actually watched through the 8-minute wash cycle (electronic timer, no way to speed it up), I saw that the solenoid was not releasing. It still had power when the motor went to high speed, supposedly to pump.

So you were right, Gene. It is the controller board. I have a couple of EE degrees, and have had good luck fixing such things. (I fixed an engine control module (ECM) in my Mitsubishi for $4.00 in parts, saving $500.) So I looked at the board for a few minutes.

My guess is that triac 105 is "latching up". Triac 105 is the agitate triac, connected to the Yellow wire. It turns on but won't turn off. When I power off the entire washer to force a spin cycle, it of course unlatches. A new triac, just ordered, costs 32 cents. I will solder it in and see if that fixes things when it arrives. If not, I haven't lost much.

I needed to order some other parts to fix a heat pump controller board anyway.

Thanks a lot for your encouragement. You were right after all.

Larry Marks
Gene Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:38:25 PM(UTC)

Hi Lmarks

The plunger shaft which goes inside the coil should be loose. Such condition is normal. Check both plungers pins. It's possible that one or both of them are bend or loose. If they are then replace them.
Also the cam bars could be worn out.

- The part number for the new plunger (included the pin) AP3098440

- The part number for the new wig-wag with plungers and pins AP3123061

- The part number for the new spin cam bar AP3098458

- The part number for the new agitate cam bar AP2905585

- Here are the break down diagrams for the Whirlpool belt driven washer Model LA9800XPW1

Good luck.
Gene.
Lmarks Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2007 2:43:30 AM(UTC)

I have it figured out--amazing what a good night's sleep will do.

For some reason, the wig-wag can push the agitator cam towards the front when it's supposed to, but is not retracting it when that's supposed to occur, for a drain cycle. (If I manually force a spin cycle, that's enough to cause the retraction.)

First I will try lubricating the cam and slide areas. If that doesn't do it, I will watch the operation and see if there's too much wear.

Both of the solenoid armatures are really sloppy fits inside their coils. Are they supposed to be that sloppy? Or are they supposed to be a snug fit? I'm thinking that the solenoid armature goes off axis enough that the pin doesn't reach the lower cam slot and doesn't drop.

Larry M
Gene Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2007 9:42:54 PM(UTC)

Hi Lmarks

Most likely in such situation the problem is with one of the two parts: the water level switch or the control board. Unfortunately both of them are no longer available.

Gene.
Lmarks Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2007 5:15:04 PM(UTC)

An additional clue: I ran a gentle wash cycle, which is supposed to agitate (low) for eight minutes, then partial drain. Instead it ran agitate (low) for eight minutes, then switched to agitate (high).

Now to figure out what's different between drain and agitate high.