Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Guest Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2023 10:30:29 PM(UTC)

This happened to us as well on our 3-year-old GTW460ASJ5WW washer. I let it run for 10 minutes and it stopped. It seems to be working ok now. Thanks for posting this. We were thinking about getting a new washer.
Guest Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 9:35:10 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: cally45455 Go to Quoted Post
Found the solution for my GTW460 which was stuck in drain mode. GE repairman ran diagnostics. He explained that the washing cycle had been placed on pause. It had not been restarted so 12 hours later it automatically went into 'over-ride pump mode'. That why the pump was running in the middle of the night and wouldn't shut off.
He explained that in 'over-ride mode' the pump drains for 10 min. During this time, none of the buttons or lights work. Only the pump works. After 10 min. the washer resets and works as it normally would.
Too bad this info isn't in the troubleshooting guide!!!!!!
There is a vague reference but the wording isn't specific enough for an owner to figure it out. Even the repairman read the wording and agreed an owner would have not be able to troubleshoot with their guide. Hope this helps.

I simply wanted to say MANY MANY THANKS for taking the time to post this. Our washer was doing the same thing, but sure enough, I let it simply run for about 5 minutes and it corrected itself. It's likely a repair man or "justanswer.com" would recommend replacing motherboard, so this has saved me lots of cash.

Thanks again
Guest Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 5:10:31 PM(UTC)

Had the very same issue. Washer started trying to force drain in the middle of the day with nothing inside it. In panic, unplugged the washer and watched many YouTube videos trying to solve this issue. Even looked into a replacement water inlet manifold.

Then I came across this forum and decided to let it run for 10 min and what do you know, it stopped draining and turned off. Put in a new load and it's back to normal... phew!
lizst Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2022 3:55:55 PM(UTC)

Found the solution for my GTW460 which was stuck in drain mode. GE repairman ran diagnostics. He explained that the washing cycle had been placed on pause. It had not been restarted so 12 hours later it automatically went into 'over-ride pump mode'. That why the pump was running in the middle of the night and wouldn't shut off.
He explained that in 'over-ride mode' the pump drains for 10 min. During this time, none of the buttons or lights work. Only the pump works. After 10 min. the washer resets and works as it normally would.
There is a vague reference but the wording isn't specific enough for an owner to figure it out. Even the repairman read the wording and agreed an owner would have not be able to troubleshoot with their guide. Hope this helps.

Mine doing the same thing except the Sensing Fill light is on. I let it run in the drain mode and it stopped, but will not start a load, any advice?
EagleHeart Posted: Friday, March 25, 2022 9:15:54 AM(UTC)

FWIW, I think I found the reference to this problem in the tech service manual.

If you go to https://manualzz.com/doc...echnical-service-manual, then check out page 42, item 19, you'll see that it is an error code for a washer paused for more than 12 hours. Of course, as noted previously, it doesn't say what to do about this. But certainly, the GE service techs ought to ask about this before automatically scheduling a rather expensive service call.
EagleHeart Posted: Friday, March 25, 2022 5:58:47 AM(UTC)

What a fabulous find! Thank you. My GE washer (GTW460ASJ7WW) started exhibiting this behavior, so naturally, I unplugged it. Plugged it back in. Same pumping noise. What's a normal person to think? I "reboot" didn't work so I unplugged it again and...

I called GE repair. Too bad the folks there don't know about this odd behavior of this washing machine. The GE service person quoted me $110 trip charge, plus $173.50, plus shipping, for a control board, and wouldn't quote me a labor estimate for board replacement... I'm guessing that's another $100. That's $400 or more for a washer that only cost $500 to buy.

You could say that I was unhappy with GE, and since I'm a very handy handyman, I figured I'd throw the dice, buy a used control board (found one on eBay, exact model, guaranteed to be fully functional, for $50 with shipping), and see if that would solve the problem. That's when I found this forum in my parts and tech manual search.

Even though I my washer is working again, I've wasted a lot of time trying to get this resolved and I am sure that I will never buy a GE product again... their washers seem legendary for their lack of reliability.

And thank you to AppliancePartsPros for setting up this forum, and a big shout out to the person who posted the solution... there's a place in appliance heaven for you.

Cheers.
Guest Posted: Monday, March 7, 2022 3:26:36 PM(UTC)

Letting the drain pump run the 10 minutes did the trick for mine. Thanks so much for this!
Jcardo Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2022 11:59:38 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: jimbojones123 Go to Quoted Post
Are there more of these service bulletins? I have been having an issue with my washer not spinning the load. I could get it to spin when in the service mode and then clearing the faults would reset it back to working, but it wont even do that anymore. Now it will run everything but the spin cycle, it kinda starts up and quits then lights up like its done. Should I try and fix myself, call a tech, or set this thing on fire?

Did you get an answer on this? I have one doing the same thing.
Guest Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 6:07:33 PM(UTC)

04/06/2021

My 4yr old washer GTW485 did the exact same thing today! I had a sheet and a blanket in there for a second wash, and I went in and it was stuck on drain/spin cycle. Absolutely nothing that I tried helped, nothing! I even found a YouTube video on how to reset it, nope, didn't work.

So four hours later I google seached again and found this forum!!!! God bless y'all and this forum. So I did what cally45455 said of her repairmen, (see quote) and IT WORKED!!!! IT WORKED!!!!!

Thank you forum and thank you CALLY!!! xoxo

04/06/2021

rea2112 Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 10:16:44 AM(UTC)

I have the GE GTW460 as well. 3.3 years old. I hadn't done a load in about 5-7 days and this morning the drain pump was running all on it's own. Tried several things and a friend found this forum post so I tried it and left the washer plugged in. I forgot about it so I don't know when it stopped, I assume it was 10 mins after running. I caught it when it was 1 minute into running originally. I started up a new load as if I had clothes to wash but really didn't and then pressed the pause button for 3sec to stop the washer. Looks normal now. Thanks for the tip to just let it do its thing. Don't know why though it did this out of no where because it was not in pause mode at all.