Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
ThatGuy Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 2:37:31 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Yerocsemaj Go to Quoted Post
You know it’s the motor- because a properly working one wouldn’t allow that to happen.

Exactly! Bad motor start switch.
Yerocsemaj Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 12:42:02 PM(UTC)

So if there is a centrifugal switch that needs to be closed before the element will heat, then how is the element getting hot without the motor turning? Or is that how you know it’s the motor- because a properly working one wouldn’t allow that to happen?
ThatGuy Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 12:09:14 PM(UTC)

If the motor is not turning the element shouldn't be able to get hot. There is a centrifugal switch on the motor that switches it from start to run and at the same time completes the circuit to the element. The motor has to be spinning to do this.

You need a motor.

Whirlpool 279827 Dryer Drive Motor - AppliancePartsPros.com
Yerocsemaj Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:09:04 AM(UTC)

The timer was going bad and only working on the "auto-dry" setting, but it wouldn't end the cycle. We had to manually time it and stop the load by hand. I replaced the switch and then the dryer didn't work at all. I swapped the new switch back out for the old one. The dryer still wouldn't work.

The belt is whole, and there is no humming coming from the motor. I tested the "push-button" power switch and it passed.

I tested the upper-most thermal fuse and it had zero continuity. I replaced the thermal fuse.

Now the start switch causes an audible "click" when pressed. The element begins to glow and heat up, but the drum/blower motor never starts no matter which setting I use on the switch. There is no hum nor obvious failures in the electronics up to the motor, however, I'm not sure if I want to test a powered 30A/220v motor myself (I'm a wimp with electricity).

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!