Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
thorning Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 11:45:56 AM(UTC)

If you have a belt that is the right length or close to it the number of ribs will have to be dealt with appropriately. A 3 rib belt of the correct length will run a dryer in place of a 5 rib belt but it may not last as long. If the old belt is replaced with a new belt that is a lot shorter you will have trouble getting it on the pulley. The belt path around the drum is such that it will track OK in almost every unit I have worked on. The belt on the motor pulley must align with the idler or it will destroy the belt or the idler pulley or both. I have on occasion shimmed the idler pulley support arm in and out to match the motor pulley location. Hope this is useful info for you
planoguy Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 4:44:05 AM(UTC)

Hello Thatguy,
Its all back together, clean up inside and first test run passes. It is a gas dryer so I have to wait for the sealant to cure before I can run a load. Thank you for your advise and guidance.

I will be back, I have a cooktop that needs to be rebuilt and a co worker with a dryer problem.
ThatGuy Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 12:59:31 PM(UTC)

I don't think they make the 5 V belts anymore. I usually make sure its within an inch or so of the old belts length. If it is, then it should be fine.

I'm glad you got that motor mess sorted out.
planoguy Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 6:35:59 AM(UTC)

Hello Thatguy and Hello Thorning,

Short answer it was the wrong part. On the first motor, the recipt had the correct part number, the box had the correct part numper printed. The motor had its own FSP number W10448892 on the label. This is not the correct number for the model 279787. I had to go to another store to get the correct part. The second moter labled as FSP W10438969 fits and I can lock it down.

Now that the motor is in place my next concern is the drum belt. I purchased a rebult kit #4392067, (I was told it was the correct kit). It has a belt that is smaller width than the old belt.

The old belt is #3387610 (this number is printed on the belt) it is 3/8 inch wide with 5 ribs. The new belt (I do not have a number for) is 2/8 inch wide with 3 ribs. The motor pully has 5 ribs. Do you Pro's think this is the correct part for the Drum Belt?
thorning Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 11:59:03 AM(UTC)

I have on occasion taken the plastic/rubber support collars off the old motor and put them on a new motor as a solution to this problem. Sometimes it will not allow that to be done. The fit of the motor into the cradle is not super critical but the spring clamps MUST be in position and secure. If they are not snapped in place the motor will bounce loose. I found one on a Samsung dryer last week with the clamp not in place properly and the motor started to wobble around.
planoguy Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:07:53 AM(UTC)

Hi ThatGuy,
I have been away from the internet. To answer your question Yes it did come in a box with instruction. I am about to travel back to the store where I purchased it to compare it to another part. I will report back what I find.
ThatGuy Posted: Monday, February 5, 2018 4:56:53 PM(UTC)

Did it come in a box with an instruction sheet?
planoguy Posted: Monday, February 5, 2018 6:27:25 AM(UTC)

Hello ThatGuy and thank you for your help.

The motor cradle is not bent in any way I can tell. Looks new but old stock. I tried rotating the motor Sunday before I started this thread. The original part layed in the cradle with the motor in a flat postion. The new motor will not drop in because of the mounting colliers of the new part are not a match to the motor cradle.

I am thinking the new motor is labeled wrong. Fyi I bought it from my local Sears Parts direct store and the numbers where verified by the system before I bought it.

I viewed the two links in you thread, when I am back home tonight I will check the demision on the old motor and compair it to the demision on the above part AP3094233.

Thank you for your help.
ThatGuy Posted: Monday, February 5, 2018 4:01:17 AM(UTC)

The part numbers are right. That motor should fit. The exact placement of the belt doesn't matter that much. Will the blower wheel fit?

Make sure the motor cradle isn't bent and remember you need to rotate the motor in the cradle til it drops into place. I've replaced a bunch of them over the years and they almost always fit.

Whirlpool 279787 Dryer Drive Motor - AppliancePartsPros.com

a video that might help.

Duet Dryer Drive Motor (part #279787) - How To Replace
planoguy Posted: Sunday, February 4, 2018 1:47:51 PM(UTC)

I have a very old dryer model 110.87983110 serial number MA2729754 purchased 1992. The original part motor, FSP 3391890 is substituted for FSP 279787. The front and back rubber mounting colliers of the new part are different and because of this difference, the motor clamps will not fit around the top of the colliers and snap in place. The colliers on the front and back of the original part have a smooth surface. The substituted new part has raised ridges on the front and back colliers creating the problem.

As I have inspected the described problem I have found another difference in the new part. The back motor shaft of the new part is longer than the original. I am thinking this will create a problem with the alignment of the drum belt.

Do any of you pro repairmen run into this type of problems on old old models??

Is there anything I can do or try? How do you Pro's tackle this problem??