Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
M Yaworski Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 3:20:40 PM(UTC)

Thanks, that's what I thought but I figured that I might as well check in case there is something unusual about washers.

Ground from the outlet goes back to the panel and it is a three prong plug.

Now I have about ten feet of green wire for my parts bin. :-)
brobriffin Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 7:41:49 AM(UTC)

If you have indeed run three wire from the breaker panel to the plug outlet and it is grounded as you said, then you are correct you do not have to run a separate ground if the washer has a three prong (grounding) plug. That would be my question does the washer have three prongs on its electric cord or is it two prong?
M Yaworski Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:22:35 AM(UTC)

Not really a repair question, more of an installation question.

My washer has a ground wire hanging from the back. At one time, this wire was attached to the cold water pipe to ground it.

The outlet is grounded and according to my meter the ground is good. The question is, do I need to hook that ground back to the pipe?

I understand that if the outlet wasn't grounded, it would important to ground the unit through another means.

In case you're wondering, I inherited this house which included the washer and dryer. The house is 60 years old and most outlets were not grounded outlets. I've been going through the house and replacing the outlets. The boxes are all grounded back to the panel which is grounded outside in the actual ground.

As always, thanks.