Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
kas4 Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 3:39:43 PM(UTC)

Speed Queen dryer stopped heating, drum and fan worked OK. Dryer is 5 yrs old and I had replaced heating element about 18 months ago.

I unscrewed heating element and placed it on the tile floor in front of the dryer (still connected). Turned it on for a test and the heating element got super hot and we smelled an electrical burning smell. All coils were bright orange. Tested at least 2 more times with same results.

Suspected thermostat but I don't have a multimeter to test. Disconnected heating element and took it to the parts store where multimeter shows heating element and thermostat have conductivity. Parts guy found there is another thermostat near the motor which I didn't know about.

Went home and removed other thermostat (part #504515). This one has 4 leads instead of 2. Borrowed neighbor's multimeter and the two larger leads on the far end have conductivity but the two smaller leads nearer the middle don't have conductivity.

Just connected everything back up and tested dryer again. No heat on any setting. Drum spins and fan runs.

Question: is it the cycling thermostat? Should both pairs of leads on part #504515 have conductivity? I couldn't find an electrical schematic online for the thermostat.

Any other ideas welcomed. Thanks.