Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
ThatGuy Posted: Friday, December 9, 2016 6:04:09 AM(UTC)

If there is a leak, it could be anywhere. If the refrig. is off, is there any pressure in the "sealed system"?

Try leaving the refrig. unplugged and just charging it with pressure. Check for leaks with a freon tester or with soapy bubbles.

A leak as big as yours should be, will bubble like crazy. Check all welds, any place the tubing is kinked or might have rubbed against something else. The evaporator coil could leak almost anywhere.
R-134a Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:10:26 PM(UTC)

Good evening.

Thank you all in advance for your time and consideration.

I have a Frigidaire refrigerator/freezer that stopped cooling entirely. I added a piercing valve and charged it with R-134a. For over an hour, it kept reading as having negative pressure (~ -18 PSI). FINALLY, the evaporator coils began to frost and the freezer temperature began to drop.

I had added at least 5 - 6 oz. of refrigerant (it's supposed to hold 4.5 oz.). After only a few minutes, the frost was gone and the temperature climbed to room temperature and remained there until the next morning. I've tested it again, and it always shows negative pressure. I see no visible evidence of a leak - no oily spots and I can't see or hear any leaks on the visible lines or capillary tubes.

I'm thinking that there must be a significant leak (otherwise where is all that coolant going?), perhaps inside the housing in the middle of all that expanding foam. Does this sound likely to you professionals? No way all that R-134a is somehow in the compressor or blocked inside filter dryer, right? I'm just a layman, but I still want to know what's going on even if it "can't" be fixed.

Thanks again!