Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
dab147 Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 8:13:45 AM(UTC)

Yeah been doing this 40 years and just retired.Those side by side can be a PITA.Keep it going as long as you can,because the new ones will be junk.
bobvance Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:37:30 AM(UTC)

UPDATE: All is working fine now!

I fixed the faulty heater wiring connector.
Actually, I just cut out the old connector and then used a Raychem heat-shrink DuraSeal butt connector. I also put additional heat shrink around that (belt & suspenders :>) to be sure no moisture could get in.
BTW, this was a pretty big PITA.
The heater wiring is way in back and very hard to access to get a good crimp on the connection.
Furthermore, the freezer is very narrow, so I got a good workout contorting myself sideways, with one arm above and the other one below. I think that the next time I do this to an 18-yr old fridge, I'll just strip, twist, tape, and heat-shrink and avoid trying to crimp!

I was still waiting for the new bi-metal defrost thermostat to arrive,
but in the meantime everything was working, albeit with the old thermo.

The new thermo arrived yesterday and I just installed it last evening.
Again, I used the same technique as above to connect it in.
With longer wires and being a little more in the front, it was a lot easier to deal with.

Manually tested everything -- OK.

I left it overnight and it's gone thru a full cycle on its own and it's looking good!

I'm putting it back together now.

bv
dab147 Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:43:29 PM(UTC)

How did you make out?
bobvance Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 5:54:02 AM(UTC)

Quick follow-up.
Since the old freezer bi-metal thermostat seemed to be working now (after I removed it, heated and froze it a few times, and banged it around a little), and the heater is working (although with a flakey wiring connector), I decided to put the old thermo back in line and manually test the defrost cycle.

I let it run in cooling mode for while to let the thermo get to low temp.
Then I manually advanced the defrost timer defrost mode and let it run.
The heater came on and started defrosting, so the thermo was definitely closed.
I let it finish the defrost, but I didn't check whether the thermo opened up at high temp before the full 30 mins of defrost mode on the timer expired. Doesn't really matter since a brand new one is on the way in the mail.

Anyway, I left it all hooked up and let it run normally the rest of the day and overnight.
This morning I checked it and the defrost mode had just finished not too long ago and the evaporator coil was clean as a whistle.

Again, I think that I'll be good with the new thermo and heater wiring.

bv
bobvance Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 9:10:10 AM(UTC)

!!!!!
I checked a few minutes later
(just to clean the drain pan from the previous defrost),
and
the TIMER is RUNNING !! -- in COMPRESSOR mode !!
!!!!!

So, apparently, I just had to let the compressor run for a few minutes and he did something to close a circuit to the timer.

So now I have a new timer -- OK
Will have a new thermostat -- also OK.
I just need to replace the wiring to the heater (and maybe the heater) and I should be good to go !!

Thanks for all the help so far.

I'll follow up when I have built a whole new refrigerator - haha.

bv
bobvance Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 8:50:26 AM(UTC)

(EDIT: Never mind !! -- see the NEXT post
)

It finished the defrost, the timer exited to COMPRESSOR mode, having run for 30 mins.
I left the DEFROST circuit CLOSED, 'cause the timer is out of defrost mode, anyway.

However, still NO POWER to the timer, even though

. timer is in non-defrost mode

. Cold Control is *closed* (compressor & all fans running and freezer is cooling

. Defrost Bi-Metal is *closed*

So, why would the timer not be running??

bv
bobvance Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 8:20:14 AM(UTC)

So, I tossed the thermostat into the freezer overnight and tested it again this morning.
Now, it's CLOSED at cold, so not sure what I saw yesterday, although I did shake it around a bit while I fooling with it last night.

Anyway, so I decided to FORCE the thermo circuit closed -- I just used a wire nut and shorted the ends where I had cut the thermo loose yesterday.

NO GO :[ -- timer (still in COMPRESSOR mode) not moving - motor not running (in the new timer it has a clear housing and you can actually see the motor.

So, I manually advanced timer to DEFROST mode.
Heater not heating up :[

BUT!
As I was looking at the wiring harness in the freezer, moving wires around I heard the telltale hiss of a short and it looked like it was coming from one of the heater element connectors. So, I wiggled the connector around and the heater came on !!

So, right now I'm just letting it finish the defrosting -- the timer runs about 30 mins.

When done, I'll OPEN up the thermo circuit and see what happens,

Will report back.

bv
bobvance Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 4:39:53 PM(UTC)

I snipped the thermostat out and it looks like it is open at all temps, so I am ordering a new one. Of course, the thermo was my initial thought, but during messing around I got the heater to actually come on twice, so thought it must be the timer.
Hopefully, new thermo will fix it and the new timer was unnecessary. But, I certainly learned a lot more about timers than I intended, so the money and time was well spent.

I will update when I get new thermostat.

bv
dab147 Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:27:09 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: bobvance Go to Quoted Post
yes, all of the evaporator covered w frost totally full top-to bottom and at bottom plugged the air holes so that the food comp warmed up -- that's how I first noticed it: the wine wasn't as chilly as normal ;>)

bv

Wine wasn,t chilly.Can,t have that.3 things cause heavy frost ,timer , heater and defrost thermostat.I would change that defrost thermostat.
bobvance Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:20:35 PM(UTC)

yes, all of the evaporator covered w frost totally full top-to bottom and at bottom plugged the air holes so that the food comp warmed up -- that's how I first noticed it: the wine wasn't as chilly as normal ;>)

bv