Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Guest Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 2:11:46 PM(UTC)

And the dog legs are fine
Guest Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 2:09:56 PM(UTC)

Mine starts up and makes a clicking sound but my dog legs aren't catching because it doesn't go back and fourth. Looking like it only goes in counterclockwise position. Whirlpool. What do you guys think it could be? It's a nice machine and everything else seems to work like it should.
Guest Posted: Friday, November 26, 2021 6:14:25 AM(UTC)

Does anyone know where is the best place to get the gear box?
tenntod Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 5:06:22 AM(UTC)

Dear Eric,

Thank you so much for your input, it's greatly appreciated! You make a very valid point so I will order the part and repair this machine rather than purchase something new like you described. Heck, this government of ours controls way too many aspects of our lives already! I don't need them choking down how much water and energy my machine uses!

Regards,
Ted
fairbank56 Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:45:16 PM(UTC)

That's a 1996 model but if it's in good shape otherwise, it is well worth repairing. That's a Whirlpool direct drive washer. They were in production from 1980 til 2010 and are still being produced for commercial models. The replacement design known as a VMW is a piece of junk as are most washers of today. They aren't made to last and due to strict government regulations, they are restricted in how much water and energy they can use. The only decent top load design of today are the Speed Queen models. They will run you around $800.

Eric
tenntod Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 11:37:35 AM(UTC)

Thank you very much Eric. This is an old machine ( at least 10 years ) so I'm thinking it would be better to buy a new machine rather than replace the gearbox. Any thoughts?

Ted
fairbank56 Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:27:23 AM(UTC)

Gearcase. Clutch has no function in agitate mode, it is only used for spin.

Eric
tenntod Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 6:28:38 AM(UTC)

Thank you Eric. Sounds like it's the gearbox based on your response. Would it be the clutch assembly or the entire gearbox that needs replacing? Or can you tell? thank you!

Ted
fairbank56 Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:24:22 AM(UTC)

The top half of the agitator is only driven in the clockwise direction so if your talking about the top half, that is normal. The lower agitator should go back and forth. If it is not, then you have a bad gearcase.

Eric
tenntod Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 10:26:35 PM(UTC)

During the wash cycle my Whirlpool washer will agitate in a clockwise direction only. However, if I gently push with my thumb downward on the top center point of the agitator, it will agitate back and forth as it's designed to do. I have inspected the direct drive motor coupler assembly and it appears to be in good operating order. I replaced the dogs two days ago, as I thought they were the problem. As I said, as long as I push and hold down slight pressure on the top of the agitator it functions back and forth just fine. Any thoughts as to what the problem might be? Thank you.