Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
wonderandwander Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 9:41:03 PM(UTC)

I pulled the back panel off and found the plastic connector broken on one of the wires on the thermostat. Must have happened with age and came lose during the move. The thermostat was bulging so I replaced it as I already purchased it and might as well put a new one in. This should do the trick. Thanks again, much appreciated.
wonderandwander Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:02:07 PM(UTC)

I'll try testing the thermostat and defrost heater on my next day off. I scraped off the frost on the back interior of the freezer with a plastic spatula and then used a blow dryer to defrost the gap at the bottom of the back panel in the meantime and it is cold enough again in the meantime. I really appreciate your advice!
denman Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 4:19:18 AM(UTC)

Here are your parts.
Parts for BZ22RW - AppliancePartsPros.com

Sounds like you still have a defrost problem.

First remove the evaporator cover in the freezer so you can see the coils.
If they are heavily iced/frosted over then it is a defrost problem.
Do not let them de-ice.

If yes.
Manually force a defrost cycle by turning the defrost timer cam till the fans and compressor turn off.
There is usually a hole in the cover to let you do this without taking anything apart.
Now check the defrost heater to see if it is on.
Be careful you do not want to burn your fingers.
If the heater is on then the timer needs replacing, re: it is probably stalling during it's rotation so is never getting into a defrost cycle.

If not on.
Unplug the unit.
Remove the wire for one side of the heating element from the wiring and measure it for continuity, usually around 20 ohms or so.

If the heater is OK
Remove one wire to the defrost thermostat and measure it, should be 0 ohms when frozen. Note that it opens just above freezing so must be frozen to check it. Also inspect it, if it is bulged at all replace it even if it measures OK.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
wonderandwander Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2013 3:51:22 PM(UTC)

I have had an Amana bottom freezer, top refrig for 19 years and it has worked great. I moved an hour away 2 months ago and it was unplugged maybe 2 hours during the move. I plugged it in at the new place and frig and freezer didn't get cold enough and had previously always worked. I had tipped it forward some to clean underneath it during the move. It was upright during the move. After reading advice online, I unplugged it for 30 hrs with doors open and then plugged it back in. It worked great for about 3 weeks but i did notice ice (snowy) on the back freezer interior wall. Then both frig and freezer started to warm up again. I unplugged it, removed freezer interior ice, let it warm up, then replaced the defrost timer. Plugged it back in, cold as can be for 2-3 weeks. Now both frig and freezer are warming up again. Frig is about 8 degrees warmer and freezer about 6 degrees warmer. I have been checking temp every other day to keep track. So I have no idea? I hear the fan and compressor working and obviously, after it is defrosted it works great, can get colder than I want. I just can't prevent the frost in the back of the freezer or keep it working longer than 3 weeks at a time. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:confused: