Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
rickgburton Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:54:24 PM(UTC)

Cool, nice job
mrhoagie Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:08:11 PM(UTC)

Turned timer off then freezer fan stopped. 20 minutes later freezer fan started to run, figured the thermostat worked. Tested the double element heater for conductivity and nothing. Replaced the heater, temperatures are normal and all is cold.
mrhoagie Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 4:13:32 AM(UTC)

Totally thawed out and dry freezer. Restarted power for 8 hours. Lite frost on evaporator tubes. Turned timer until freezer fan shut down. No evaporator heater startup to where frost was melting, left for 20 minutes or so and freezer fan restarted, frost remains on evaporator coils.

If I cut the thermostat wires and connect directly and the evaporator heater warms up then the thermostat is the problem...correct?

If I had a VOM meter this would also so no connection at the thermostat...correct?

If thermostat connectivity is good then the evaporator heater is the problem...correct?

As long as the defrost timer is cycling to start and stop the freezer fan, does this mean the timer is cycling correctly and the problem is either the thermostat or the evaporator heater exclusively?

Allen
mrhoagie Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:56:01 PM(UTC)

The drain was plugged with something dirt like or maybe accumulated from a long ago meltdown in the freezer when the electric was off for 3 days. Now opened and water freely moves through now.

Would ice buildup from a plugged drain hamper the function of evaporator coils leading to a frost buildup or is this just a coincidence of two separate problems being:

1.) The drain combined with
2.) Defrost thermostat, defrost heater or defrost timer (timer being bad or stuck)

Allen
mrhoagie Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:20:33 PM(UTC)

When freezer fan is off the defrost cycle is active, correct? The frost on the evaporator coils should go away now if the defrost heater is working by being told to do so by the defrost thermostat..Yes?

Either the defrost thermostat or defrost heater may be bad. Since the defrost timer went off with a small clockwise turn it may or may not be operating OK?
mrhoagie Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:17:16 PM(UTC)

Found the defrost control. I turned it about 1/8" or less. There were no clicks or notches in turning. The freezer fan stopped operation after it clicked off in turning clockwise. If the defrost heater comes on the small amount of frost on the evaporator coils should melt away?

Found the defrost thermostat, red circular object about 5/8" thick and held on to the evaporator coil with a wide flat spring around the unit top and the evaporator coil bottom. The defrost heater is attached by two screws and easily removed.

I do not have a VOM meter. Where do I place the red/black probes when checking? Color matter in placement or am I looking just for a connection between the two or should there be a reading of ohms/volts to go by?

rickgburton Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:01:29 PM(UTC)

The kick plate below the doors. Look for a bunch of wires.
mrhoagie Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:29:59 AM(UTC)

Found the defrost control. I turned it about 1/8" or less. There were no clicks or notches in turning. The freezer fan stopped operation after it clicked off. If the defrost heater comes on the light frost on the evaporator coils should melt away?

Found the defrost thermostat, red circular object about 5/8" thick and held on to the evaporator coil with a wide flat spring around the unit top and the evaporator coil bottom. The defrost heater is attached by two screws and easily removed.

I do not have a VOM meter. Where do I place the red/black probes when checking? Color matter in placement or am I looking just for a connection between the two or should there be a reading of ohms/volts to go by?
rickgburton Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:01:12 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: mrhoagie Go to Quoted Post
No frost in freezer, defrost cycle active. Defrost cycle appears to function properly over last 48 hours.

OK, we better start over. The defrost system is not working. Make sure the unit is plugged in and running. Remove the lower kick plate. Locate the defrost timer and bracket front center. Use a flat blade screwdriver to slowly advance it, one click at a time until the refrigerator turns off. You're in a defrost cycle. See if the defrost heater(s) on the evaporator turn on. If they do replace the defrost timer Part# WR9X362. If the defrost heater(s) does not turn on you'll need a VOM to check the defrost thermostat (Part# WR50X0035) and defrost heater(s) (Part# WR51X0231) for continuity. Check the defrost thermostat while it's frosty. It needs to be below 40*F to show continuity. If either one shows 1 or infinite resistance, replace it. If they both check good, replace the defrost timer.
mrhoagie Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:51:48 AM(UTC)

Rick,

The coils are loaded with frost! and the drain line full of frozen water and ice on the very bottom shelf.

Did the temperature control (part number you recommend for replacement) affect the defrost cycle leading to the freeze up? or temperature regulation in general lead to freeze up?

Since the freezer is cold at 0F, is the air going into the fridge section restricted from flowing because the circulation is blocked by ice buildup in the drain, leading to frost on the coils?

Is the temperature control located in the fridge section behind the dial control knob..with the numbers attached?