Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
bertopks Posted: Friday, November 10, 2023 6:37:58 AM(UTC)

Thank you richappy for this post.

My fridge: GE GNE27JSMAFSS

About a month or so ago, my evap fan started making noises: faint rumblings, occasional howls, but seemed to keep working overall. I replaced the motor on 10/29/23 but didn't replace the motherboard because I had not run across this information yet.

Yesterday, the fridge was warm and the fan wasn't running. The right LED freezer light was also not working. I unplugged the fan and plugged the old motor in to see if it would run. It did not. I also checked the voltage across the red & white wires and the yellow & white wires. One read around 12v the other around 7v. I don't remember which was which. I was in a hurry to figure something out before heading to work. I did not test voltages at the motherboard b/c I didn't have the service manual yet and didn't know to do it at that time.

I also took out the back panel w/the fan on it and the coils were frosted at the top, but not looking too bad. I put it all back together and it started working. Then stopped. An hour later, my wife said it started working again but that while the fan was running, the right side freezer light was not on. Later, it did come on and now the fan seems to be operating normally and the light works as well.

My question is: Is it likely that the motherboard will eventually malfunction? Would it be wise to buy a motherboard and have it ready? Will this new motor cause problems or is it possible I dodged a bullet by replacing it sooner rather than later?

Thanks of your help.
BEFORE "TECHNOLOGY" Posted: Monday, September 18, 2023 12:27:39 PM(UTC)

Amazing.

I have a GE side by side "yellow in color" purchased in 1972 and no repairs necessary in the last 51 years and the still going strong. Another GE with a top freezer (low-cost unit) "white in color" purchased in 1995 and no repairs necessary in the past 28 years.
Yet the latest purchase, another side by side "stainless", in 2014 required a compressor overload switch / relay 15 months later, 3 condenser fan motors, 3 evaporator fan motors (now needs another one) and 2 mother boards. The unit worked perfectly after each "modification" for extended time periods. So as not to blame the mother board or the individual motors. No need to search for power surges (unit is protected) or to question the installation. As this needs to be evaluated and viewed upon as the questionable development of a bad product. And "to knock down" a reply referencing why so many units. The yellow one is at a different location and the white one hides in the basement so as not embarrass the stainless one.
However, this 9-year-old wonder is and should be an embarrassment to General Electric and to the engineering staff that developed this product.
Sean_Herrera Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:44:52 PM(UTC)

Hi. I’m new to this forum trying to find help for the problem I describe below. My GE Fridge is a DSS25KGRBBB side-by-side and is 14 yrs old.

About 2 weeks ago, we noticed the freezer section not being as cold as before with food starting to thaw and ice to melt. I observed the evap fan spinning very slowly - I thought too slow to pull sufficient air through the evap coils. You could barely feel any air coming out the vents. I checked the evap coils and they weren’t iced up so blockage was not a reason for the low air flow. (Also please note that I changed the defrost thermostat, defrost heater and all 4 thermistors in the unit around 1 year ago as we were having issues with the evaporator icing up).

I checked the main board and it looked fine so I decided to replace the evap motor (WR60X100074). Upon turning the unit back on the fan was spinning fast (like I remember it doing) and the fridge and freezer worked fine for 1 week before the temp started to rise again at which point I noticed the evap fan was not coming on at all and upon checking the main board found the upper of the 2 fairly large resistors burnt out. I removed the 1-week old evap motor and found it to be burnt out (using an external DC source). With the board being the original 14 yr old one I decided to change it along with the burnt evap motor and I also changed the evap thermistor to be on the safe side - so all 3 parts were now brand new.

I re-installed everything and all was working fine - fan spinning strongly, freezer cold, ice maker working great, etc. This morning (so 5 days later) I woke up to find food in the freezer thawing again and the evap fan not coming on at all. I then checked the main board to find that the same resistor that had burnt on the original board had burned on this one too. Arghhhh!! I have not had the chance to check the evap motor but I’m quite sure I’m gonna find it was burned out just like the previous one.

So having changed the evap motor, thermistor and the board, I am totally stumped as to how the board and the motor have again burned out. And prior to all this happening, in the 14 years I’ve had the unit I’ve never had any issues with the evap fan.

Greatly looking forward to some expert opinions on this.

Many thanks in advance...
chillhours1368 Posted: Friday, June 2, 2017 10:34:28 PM(UTC)

Hello Everyone here it is amazing for drinks lover specially if it is cold. We have amazing gadget for you by which you can make instant ice for you beverages either it is you favorite cold coffee. So check this wonderful gadget which is Portable Ice Maker Machine. It will be the best and worthy ever, either you are going for camping, You are throwing party and you are travelling anywhere you will never gonna miss you chilled and fresh drinks Instantly.

Thanking you
Regards
Mathew Burrows
Dean Haustead Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:26:19 PM(UTC)

GE started creation electronic refrigerators, which have one motherboard that controls all functions of the refrigerator. The motherboard controls all so, hypothetically everything that fails on a GE electronic refrigerator can be cause by the motherboard. The deception is to decide if the trouble is the board or a little else. With the cost of these boards there is no require to replace one unnecessarily. Under are some symptoms that are usually caused by a faulty motherboard on these type of refrigerators.
Dean Haustead Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:25:48 PM(UTC)

GE started creation electronic refrigerators, which have one motherboard that controls all functions of the refrigerator. The motherboard controls all so, hypothetically everything that fails on a GE electronic refrigerator can be cause by the motherboard. The deception is to decide if the trouble is the board or a little else. With the cost of these boards there is no require to replace one unnecessarily. Under are some symptoms that are usually caused by a faulty motherboard on these type of refrigerators.
Dean Haustead Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 10:32:40 PM(UTC)

When my refrigerator do not work very well then I contact my dealer and they replacing my GE refrigerator evaporator motors and motherboards.
Dean Haustead Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 10:24:36 PM(UTC)

If anybody has re-oiled a motor and found it did not harm the board, please let me identify. I have ample of used board and will use one the after that time I see a breakdown, but without a test process am unwilling to use a used motor in a customer's fridge. Imagine a present check of the winding attainment the square wave might be a high-quality test.
ssauer40 Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 6:05:49 PM(UTC)

Boy, my evaporator coil was all iced up too, replace the heater element and thermostat, ended up being the motherboard. It was controlled electronically. All working fine now.
Precis Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:30:11 AM(UTC)

Is this info only for GE, or are there any other nameplates that it is relevant for?