Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Mango123456 Posted: Monday, June 14, 2021 2:07:10 PM(UTC)

I had this problem. I replaced the grommet/seal but was confused to find the new one loose and leaking. Wrapped some PVC tape around it, reinstalled, and now the dishwasher works correctly with no leaks.
tb19 Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 1:51:05 PM(UTC)

I fixed mine by buying an LG, that was 1/2 as much as this POS. Gone 4ever. Just like Sears
J_H Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 12:18:08 PM(UTC)

From the dates on these posts, I guess I am one of the lucky ones who didn't have his Kenmore 665.12762K310 start leaking until it was nearly 5 years old. However, I am one of the unlucky ones who got the version with the grommet permanently affixed to the sump. Replaced the sump, replaced the diverter motor. Still leaks, and it's not just a trickle. What an abomination of design this thing is.

Undecided about how to proceed. I have read the various posts - there is no easy way to create positive pressure to seal the grommet/shaft interface. I'm going to try to find a tight neoprene gasket & silicone and hope for the best.
tb19 Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 1:51:00 AM(UTC)

I've had same problem on Kenmore Elite. To get a new seal you have to replace the sump. After 2 leaks, 2 sumps, a new diverter, a flow solenoid, lower rack wheels,.upper rack track, upper adjusters, within 4 years, I got rid.of this piece of junk. Whirlpool garbage installed in a lot of products now. No wonder Sears is going the way of the Dodo bird.
svelur Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:19:30 PM(UTC)

The bottom-center of my 20-month old Whirlpool Gold series dishwasher (WDT790SAYM3) was leaking and damaged the wood-work around the cabinets in my kitchen.

The repairman said that he would have to replace the entire bottom assembly costing ~$200 in parts and $150 in labor. This is because, he said the grommet cannot be bought as a separate part.

Thanks to this excellent thread - This is what I did:
1. Removed the diverter motor assembly (white plastic piece with a small motor and 2 sets of wires) by taking out the 2 Torx screws (near the bottom center). Took pictures of the wires and disconnected them.
2. Put the Dishwasher back on it's feet - Removed all the fittings inside
3. Using a flat-head screwdriver, gently pryed out the grommet (around the removed diverter motor shaft) at the center. This took some patience and several tries.
4. Ordered a couple of Whirlpool grommets (Part# AP6016787 or WPW10195677) from AppliancePartsPros.com. It arrived next day!
5. Put the new grommet back on - Note that the groves (double-lip) of the grommet should be facing away from the motor unlike some comments in this thread.
6. Used some silicone grease on the motor shaft and put-back the motor, screws, and connected the wiring.
7. I just tested the dishwasher - no more leaks!

Another tip - Just put a shallow pan under the dishwasher and use a water sensor alarm like this: Re-Useable Water Leak Alarm-RWD21 - The Home Depot
This will help detect water leaks before it destroys your flooring.

Note that this grommet is a "Metric Oil Seal - Dual Lip with a Garter Spring - 10 mm Shaft, 18 mm OD, 4 mm Width". See details here: https://www.motionindustries.com...tDetail.jsp?sku=07089658

For proper installation, the seal lip should point towards the medium being contained - water, in this case.

This is a bad design - Whirlpool needs to fix this or at least send out bulletins to the owners and all licensed technicians.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Shashi
hart3man Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 7:28:54 PM(UTC)

I had the same issue with a leaking diverter valve on Kenmore Elite dishwasher. I believe the infamous rubber washer that fits over the stem on the diverter valve became enlarged and no longer fit tight. I found the diverter valve and rubber washer on Amazon, saved me from buying the entire sump assy just to get a $6 washer. Search this to find the washer - Oil and Grease Seal TC10 x 18 x4 Rubber Covered Double Lip w/Garter Spring. The 10mm dimension is the inside diameter that fit snugly on the new diverter valve where as my original washer would easily slid on/off. Just thought I would share, might keep somebody from buying the entire sump if you only need the washer:)
donlgriffin Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 5:58:57 PM(UTC)

Dishwasher is leaking a lot again. Has Whirlpool fixed this problem with their newer models?
donlgriffin Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 7:18:35 AM(UTC)

Update. Put the grommet/seal in the dishwasher. Initially leaked a few drops and was feeling down. Let it run a load of dishes that had piled up while it had been down. Checked the pan in the morning and was only an ounce or two in the pan ran another load and it was dry. Keeping the kick plate off for a while to see what happens later. Fingers crossed but not sure if it's fixed or not. Never a good idea to have a seal with a rotating shaft in the middle of it under water. Whirlpool should take ownership of this problem. Don't know how to re design it but more thought should go into this problem. Also this grommet should be listed in the parts diagram. Shouldn't have to search for answers on the internet for a problem like this.
donlgriffin Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 6:40:29 PM(UTC)

Bought and installed the grommet/shaft seal tonight. Put the d/w in and will check for leaks tomorrow night.
ThatGuy Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 2:15:16 PM(UTC)

From the video (at 2:02 and again at 8:03) it looks like there is an o-ring inside the DW under the diffuser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyXWIiMZ6cA