Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
JohnF Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 1:45:06 AM(UTC)

I'm having the same problem w/a 2 yr old Kenmore dryer that must be the same Mfr because all the part #'s are the same as yours. I've tried disconnecting the sensor and bypassing it and the ignitor still won't light. Could it be the Saftey Thermostat mounted on top of the drum (part # 5308015399)? It was working fine and then 2 days ago in the middle of drying a load, the heat just quit.

Thanks in advance!
Hozer Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:53:54 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the help, and yeah I didn't plan on bypassing the thing was more of a mistake, I took it and the thermostat off and when you said I should look at the timer closer I hooked both back up but I just mounted the sensor and didn't plug it in and bam! the ignightor was nice and bright. I then called the local repair shop and he told me to put the two wires toghether and once the ignitor is nice and bright to pull the wires apart and sure enough she lite right up (probley another saftey thing that we should not recommend). Thanks for the vacuuming idea with the lint, I already plan on replacing the belt since i'm already in there and the belt is pretty dry rotted. Thanks for all the help, I always enjoy these msg boards and what a great website that has all the diagrams!
Admin / APP Team Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:37:04 PM(UTC)

Absolutely! You effectively bypassed the sensor and the igniter came on. Manufacturers don't recommend this type of testing for safety reasons, but I guess what's done is done. Another way to check the sensor is for continuity with an ohmmeter.

If the sensor is bad, it won't let any juice thru to the igniter - another safety feature. Your sensor is #79 on this diagram. Good job!

By the way, while you're in there, use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of any lint.
Hozer Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:50:17 AM(UTC)

Ok, I have rulled the timer issue out (thats what happens when you listen to the wife). I unhooked the sensor unit and turned it on and sure enough the ignitor light up nice and bright.....does this definetly point towards the sensor then?
Admin / APP Team Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:05:42 AM(UTC)

Well, if the timer won't advance on timed dry, then it's probably bad.

- Replacement timer

Whether or not anything else is bad will be hard to say until the timer's been replaced.

P.S. "so I am posting another "dryer wont heat" topic...sorry..." - Hozer, not every "no heat" problem is the same. Post away, we're here to help :)
Hozer Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:43:20 AM(UTC)

Correct, I put it on timed dry and it will sit there and tick away (and the barrel will turn while the timer is going) until I turn it to the "off" position.
Admin / APP Team Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:33:03 AM(UTC)

Hozer, you said the timer is not advancing... What setting are you using? Timed dry?
Hozer Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:06:51 AM(UTC)

Removed ignitor and it still has continuity. I let it run to see if the ignitor was lighting and it is not lighting (i let it run for 1 min). Now i'm focused on the Sfty thermostat Part Number: AP2152884 or the Sensor Part Number: AP2142636

Any suggestions on what one would be the better one to replace? Or is there a way to test them to find the right problem?
Hozer Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:26:14 AM(UTC)

I have read through plenty of these posts but still cant seem to figure out which one I should refer to so I am posting another "dryer wont heat" topic...sorry.......But anyway, I have tore apart my dryer and I am far from an expert when looking inside...I do know I have located the ignitor but I dont know how to tell if thats the real problem before I go replace it (which it doesn't look like a picnic to replace) Or if I should be worried about it being the thermistate or flame switch. I have no OEM tester thing that I have read alot of people using, do I definetly need that to be able to figure out what unit to replace? The washer does run but the close are cold, oh and the timer does not move it stays in one location.....so could it be the timer? :eek: so many possibilities!!!