Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
jerry42 Posted: Saturday, October 4, 2008 5:50:55 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: moderdm Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
My fridge and freezer are no longer cooling freezing. Fans are blowing and I suspect the compressor has gone out. Is it possible this is just a starter problem? How would I diagnose the difference between a starter problem and a compressor problem.
-thank you for your time.
please reply
DIY_fun Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:27:09 AM(UTC)

I have a similar problem with my Amana SxS. I too am hearing the click about ever 30 seconds. I have what I belive is a solid state (no coil)starting relay and it does not rattle when I shake it. I also checked the compressor for a short to ground. One of the three pins on the compressor that I checked gives me a reading of .000 (Ohm) on my mulitmeter. This is telling me that this pin is indeed shorted to ground right? The other two pins are giving me a "1." reading on my multimeter which would mean they are not shorted to ground. I am at work and do not have a model number available at this time.
ApplianceJunk Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2007 9:54:31 AM(UTC)

Quote:
So if I'm hearing no clicking its the starter?

You should not hear a click if the starter is working the way it should be.

If the start relay is bad you will hear it try to start the compressor and then click off.

Quote:
Just wondering how long I should wait to hear this clicking sound.

If the relay is bad you will hear the clicking sound seconds after plugging it in and then again every minute or two as it keeps trying to start the compressor.
moderdm Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2007 9:28:51 AM(UTC)

So if I'm hearing no clicking its the starter? How often would it try to start the compressor? Just wondering how long I should wait to hear this clicking sound.

Thank you for your help.
ApplianceJunk Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:15:40 PM(UTC)

Quote:
Is it possible this is just a starter problem?

Yes, very possible.

Quote:
How would I diagnose the difference between a starter problem and a compressor problem.

If you hear the start relay clicking on and off as the compressor tries to start then you know that there is power to the compressor.

This tells you it is ether a bad start relay or a bad compressor.

At this point I use a meter to see if the compressor is shorted to ground.

If the compressor is not shorted then replace the start relay and give it a try.
You should hear the compressor start right away with a new start relay if that was the problem.

If the compressor is shorted to ground you will need to have the compressor replaced.

Given the history on whirlpool side by side refrigerators in the 5 year old age range I would say it is a really good chance that a new start relay will fix your refrigerator.

Whirlpool Refrigerator Start Relay Repair Guide
moderdm Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:58:13 AM(UTC)

Hello,
My fridge and freezer are no longer cooling freezing. Fans are blowing and I suspect the compressor has gone out. Is it possible this is just a starter problem? How would I diagnose the difference between a starter problem and a compressor problem.
-thank you for your time.