Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
rschleicher Posted: Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:23:10 PM(UTC)

I'm resurrecting this old thread, because I am trying to figure out if any of the major brands have made any improvements in their spider arms, to delay/prevent corrosion. Either by using a different material than aluminum, or perhaps by doing some sort of coating at the factory.

Basically, are any front loader brands better in this regard, having longer-lasting, more robust spider arms?
martinrodgercy@yahoo.com Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:28:59 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: greenchair Go to Quoted Post
I am replacing the dissolved spider support on my washer (yes, I have to buy the whole %$#$ tub.)

I am looking for some advice on coating the aluminum and/or zinc spider support to increase it's life.

FYI, I do have a can of commercial aluminum etching primer that may be useful for this purpose. I will have to dig for a better product description that that through my garage rubble. I remember seeing lots of warnings on the can. I probably am not qualified to spray it (smile).

Have you heard of German Made appliances?, mine is 21 years old AEG, no issues with these, spend the money is worth it. Don't buy North American designed Chinese made TRASH made to last 2 years MAX if you are lucky and thes see the cost of the parts...
David F Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:44:31 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: jhckwong Go to Quoted Post
I'm in the midst of changing out the stainless drum and spyder because the spyder cracked apart from 2 of the 3 legs. I wonder if our use of powder HE soap advanced the failure because leftover powdered soap was caked up in the grooves of the spyder where the failure occurred. I'm wondering if the leftover soap always stayed damp, which advanced the corrosion after only 3-1/2 years of use. Perhaps I will now use liquid HE soap instead of powder which I hope will help the unit last longer than the last spyder.

The white powder you see, which does resemble powdered detergent, is most likely aluminium oxide, the main product of corrosion from the aluminium alloy of the spider and the alkaline products in the washing and rinsing water. some of it will adhere very strongly to the donor component (spider). It, aluminium oxide, is very hard and very abrasive, it is in fact the 'grit' used in many 'sandpaers'. Further it is barely soluble in water so any not adhering to the spider will be carried into the 'water' where it will, in my opinion, act as a very efficient 'lapping paste' and as such will quickly destroy the soft lips of the spider shaft seal thus allowing water and aluminium oxide into the bearings, any guesses on how long they will last, even if they are 'sealed'?
greenchair Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 5:40:59 AM(UTC)

I am sure that handworking the casting changed the balance a little but should not be an issue considering the abnormal load of clothes that the washer has to contend with.

Also, I suspect one of the arms on my old spider fractured much earlier than the second and the washer still worked albeit poorly. It was probaly atleast 6 months to a year that way.

Did you spider go and cause your shocks to fail? As I remember, the shocks are more of a friction mechanism rather than a fluid chamber. Is that correct?

cheers
redtr250 Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:24:34 AM(UTC)

Hi just reading your posts does this affect the balence of the machine ive changed the shocks since they were broken but the machine still has a balance problem when starting to spin is this the same problem you had:)
greenchair Posted: Saturday, March 6, 2010 7:44:27 AM(UTC)

Hopefully the liquid soap may help but if you use it a lot it may not matter. My mother in-law only uses her machine a couple of times a week and its holding up past three years.

I don't really know what my wife is using these days but its been awhile since I prepared and powder coated my spider arm and all is good.

It was a lot of work to prepare the casting for paint as you really see how poor the casting is when you start the process. It cost me 20 bucks to get it painted. It was easy as the color was not important becasue they run them in batches where I went.

I would love to pull it apart and report on its state but don't have the luxury of time.

cheers
jhckwong Posted: Friday, March 5, 2010 6:59:45 PM(UTC)

I'm in the midst of changing out the stainless drum and spyder because the spyder cracked apart from 2 of the 3 legs. I wonder if our use of powder HE soap advanced the failure because leftover powdered soap was caked up in the grooves of the spyder where the failure occurred. I'm wondering if the leftover soap always stayed damp, which advanced the corrosion after only 3-1/2 years of use. Perhaps I will now use liquid HE soap instead of powder which I hope will help the unit last longer than the last spyder.
Originally Posted by: Drags1998 Go to Quoted Post
I know that the spyder on these units HAS been a problem, HOWEVER, If one uses the correct amount(1/4 cap or LESS) of HE soap, and has water with a softness of 2grains or less the spyder will last for 12-15yrs with NO PROBLEMS!!!! Powder coating will not survive this type of punishment. the spyder flexes under load and the powder coat will crack and trap water,accelerating the failure of the spyder!!! Let us know how you make out!!!:)
greenchair Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 5:27:26 PM(UTC)

Sure, I will probably pull it apart in a year to check it out. I do believe that the powder coating is not brittle like a baked enamel or ceramic and should hold up well. Time will tell.

Before assembly, I spent some time scratching the finish from the stainless bolts (left in to protect threads) and saw the desired properties that I was looking for. Very tough with some rubber like characteristics. But,,again, time will tell.

cheers
Drags1998 Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:03:44 PM(UTC)

I know that the spyder on these units HAS been a problem, HOWEVER, If one uses the correct amount(1/4 cap or LESS) of HE soap, and has water with a softness of 2grains or less the spyder will last for 12-15yrs with NO PROBLEMS!!!! Powder coating will not survive this type of punishment. the spyder flexes under load and the powder coat will crack and trap water,accelerating the failure of the spyder!!! Let us know how you make out!!!:)
greenchair@rogers.com Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:54:17 PM(UTC)

Washing Machines Spare Parts - Spider and Drum Support - Page 3

This place looks like it makes an aftermarket spider shaft for an electrolux application. The 3 or 4th one down on page three looks somewhat like the kenmore/friggitaire one.