Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
JRS1961 Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:25:28 PM(UTC)

Thanks. The info and pictures are helpful.
TechnicianBrian Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:08:24 PM(UTC)

It is rare for these sumps to leak, but the likely places are the motor seal, the drain pump seal, and the OWI sensor seal. If you are going to replace the motor seal, there is no need to remove the dishwasher, but rather remove the sump from the dishwasher. I described the process in my post Replacing Kitchenaid and Whirlpool Tall Tub Dishwasher Pumps from my blog. To remove the motor requires the sump to be removed from the unit in order to get to the one screw holding the motor in place. This may also give you a good look at where the water may be coming from.
JRS1961 Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:29:53 PM(UTC)

We have had our Kitchen Aid DW for over 5 years and it had performed well. Over the past year, it stopped cleaning effectively. After several service calls we were getting ready to replace it when I ran across a detail repair article on wikibooks explaining about broken chopper blades. I ordered a new chopper blade and installed it (following the great pictures and instructions from the post on wikibook) and the DW is now cleaning like it did when it was brand new. My challenge is that since installing the new chopper blade, we now have a small leak coming out of the bottom of the sump. I have not pulled the DW but am assuming it is leaking at the seal with the motor. I have ordered a new volute seal but would be interested in any other recommendations regarding potential root cause. Thanks.