Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
flafix Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:00:29 PM(UTC)

It appears that the chain jumps off really easy, regardless of amount of trash being compacted. To repair you need to get this from Harbor Freight: 8mm Swingarm Spools Item #66925 for about $5
Also the following tools:
Drill
Tap & Die Set
Phillips Screwdriver
Allen set (Metric & SAE)

Unplug the machine. Remove back cover you see small gear & large gear. If no chain is between them take a light and look down underneath on top of the ram, the chain should be laying there intact.

Put the chain on the small gear and partially on the large gear and rotate it until chain is reinstalled. Don't be tempted to let it go at this, it will NOT stay on.

Take one of the 8mm spools and mark through the hole where to drill. The spool should be positioned about half way between the small and large gears and on the outside of the chain with the chain resting in the dip of the spool. Drill and tap to fit the allen screw that came with the spool.
Mount the spool. Now the chain should have slight pressure against it from the spool. Do the same thing on the other side.

The spools should be mounted tightly against the metal frame, not loose to spin. The metal initially feels too thin to tap a thread into but it is marginally ok and I think it will hold without further attention.

After doing this my compactor worked much much better and the chain did not jump off (resulting in what you think is a stuck ram).

Now it's time to figure a rebuild for the drawer front where the bag will not fold over. What a piece of crap.

Originally Posted by: danzenvoyz Go to Quoted Post
I would like some help on how to repair our GE Monogram Trash Compactor. Just suddenly when we turn it on the RAM got stuck and wont go up and until now, its been a week and still ram stuck. Afraid that food and trash inside might cause health problem. I tried pulling it out and starting it over again but it didnt work it only opens about 2 inches and you can see the RAM still down sort of stuck. What do I do. How can I disassemble it or have it working again
flafix Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 1:32:04 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: warbirdman Go to Quoted Post
I am having the exact same problem you had, I didn't read where anyone responded with a solution. I have removed the unit and have the back panel off. The ram is stuck down, even though the motor and gears appear to turn normally. Any suggestions?

Yes, the drive chain has jumped off. Remove back cover after unplugging cord. Locate the chain laying on top of the ram. Put it back on by putting on small gear first and then rotating the large gear. The problem appears to be caused by the very quick reversal of direction of the motor. Some sort of time delay may be helpful.
BOSSTOOL Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:38:01 AM(UTC)

Dear bongobiltmore,

Sorry to hear about that. I bought the part for about $30 to $50 as I recall, and it went in pretty easily, but I got some grease on my hands. The replacement part is now made of aluminum. I came out ok on that one, but I just tried reapairing a dishwasher part that didn't come out so well. Don't feel bad, I ended up buying a new dishwasher and probably would have been better off to have a repair guy come out for that one.

You win some, and you lose some. Thx, for the reply.

Dan
bongobiltmore Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:50:27 AM(UTC)

I looked at the ram last night and saw the exact same problem--a cracked plastic gear. Should have read this first. I'm not that handy so it will cost about $300 to get the transmission replaced. I guess the repair man has a family to buy christmas presents for too...
warbirdman Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:58:43 PM(UTC)

I didn't understand your last reply. If you call GE Monogram (Google) they will send you via fax or e-mail the exploded drawing for that part of the compactor. Get the part # for the jam nut, and shop around. It should cost about $5.95, but as I said a GOOD price is in the mid to high twenties. I hope this helps.

Steve
BOSSTOOL Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 11:05:11 PM(UTC)

I give up. I am not able to give the name of the place that had the parts list, apparently. It's out there however.
BOSSTOOL Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 11:04:00 PM(UTC)

the website is with a place called "********************." Just put the www and the .com on each end of that name and you get there.
BOSSTOOL Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 11:02:04 PM(UTC)

warbirdman,

I did find a parts list on "********************" website. For convenience sake I just ordered the part from them, after a quick check for other pricing. I paid $44 for this part, called a "trunnion nut" by their description. I took my current trunnion nut out of the sheetmetal case, and it is not cracked but it is "stripped." The threads are no longer present that would allow a good engagement to the lead screw.

Thanks for your post. I suspected the problem would be this piece, but you post gave me 100 percent confidence that would be it.

You have been very helpful. Great site! I wish GE had a little more information, like a parts list for their product.

Dan
warbirdman Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:55:06 PM(UTC)

Bosstool,

I no longer have the part# but you can get it from GE after wading through some of their menus. They will e-mail you the parts breakdown, and you want the jam nut that the jackscrew rides in. It is enclosed in a little sheetmetal container. I shopped the part around, and eventually paid about $28 for it. I think GE wanted approx $50 and so did another local shitbag parts supplier. I hope this helps.

Steve
BOSSTOOL Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 1:33:57 PM(UTC)

Warbirdman,

Do you have a part number for the plastic part that mates with the lead screw. I suspected this to be my problem too, and your post confirms my thoughts. I can't find any parts list for this unit.

Any help in this part number search would be appreciated. Also, where did you get it from and how much $?

Thx,

Dan B.