Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Gene Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:23:02 PM(UTC)

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your diagnosis and repair with us. It is not often we see a sock in the motor housing, so your post was very illuminating and instructive.

Good luck with your dryer.

Gene.
tdmbulk Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 10:31:54 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: tdmbulk Go to Quoted Post
I'm taking the whole darn thing apart tonight; should be either the solution or a funeral service soon.

Turns out a sock somehow managed to get into the motor housing and jam things up. Apparently at one point the dryer was run without the lint filter installed at all, and the sock eventually migrated into the motor area. After removal, the dryer is back to working, and is much cleaner to boot.
tdmbulk Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:01:56 PM(UTC)

I'm taking the whole darn thing apart tonight; should be either the solution or a funeral service soon.
tdmbulk Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:45:27 PM(UTC)

The dryer will make a low buzz when the starter button is pressed, but it does not spin. I was not there, but apparently the dryer was functioning normally, then all of a sudden got much louder. Upon inspection, the drum wasn't spinning, and the air and drum were hotter than normal.

I opened up the beast, shop-vacuumed the lint bunnies away, and examined the insides. The belt appears to be integral, with no splits or fraying. I can pull the belt one-handed to spin the drum, so it appears that the belt and rollers are at least functioning, albeit not functioning optimally after 15 years of laundry rolling through.

When the button is pushed, I do not feel nor see any attempt to move the belt, just a buzzing noise. Bearings in the motor could be shot, I suppose.

I would consider replacing parts such as the motor, belts, rollers, etc., but don't want to put a couple hundred into this dinosaur; would rather get a new one and hope to live long enough to take the energy savings into the black.

Anybody have any more advanced ways of checking the belts, rollers, etc., or is the fact that I can manually spin the drum with the belt sufficient to rule those parts out?